Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 07:15 PM

This heat!!!

... is killing me!

Normally I set the alarm for 5am, get Jess out while its cool, then she's got time to play and have her breakfast in the back garden before the sun comes round and the temps start rising

Just looked at weather forecast for tomorrow and 20 is the lowest temp here at 4am!!! .. until about 8am then it starts climbing up again. (usually it doesn't reach 20 until after 9am so we've always had time to get out for a good run if i get myself up really early!)

Looks like she's going to have to miss her walks for the day for the first time in years ...hate letting her down but she's a big girl with a long thick coat and she doesn't like it either when she can't find a cool shady spot to chill out! (she's got a cool coat, gel pad, paddling pool and her own fan..lol! and still been panting like a steam train)

My legs aren't going to do down (get fluid on them in heatwaves) all night if it's not gonna go below 20 .. so swollen legs till Saturday when temps drop and it rains here!

Thunderstorms and heavy rain between around 8 tonight and tomorrow morning, so won't be leaving scooter on charge either and I unplug BB/phone line (know of someone whose house caught fire when lightening went down the phone line) so I unplug everything and turn power off at the mains during a thunderstorm. ..(so if I don't reply after 8pm assume the thunderstorm has started!)

Think I need to move even further North! I noticed when weather was on TV it was only 17 degrees on the islands at the top of Scotland while rest of country is like the sahara!!!

Has to be climate change and global warming? .. our weather seems to get weirder every year!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Re: This heat!!!

Its a nightmare Susan, I hate it, you can't sleep at night.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Its a nightmare Susan, I hate it, you can't sleep at night.
I know last night it took till after 2am to get off to sleep and had to be up for 5. It's so hot in day can't sleep either.

Thinking of getting one of those big Dyson fans as I only have a couple of smaller fans for a desk. I'm guessing this isn't gonna be the last heatwave for this summer!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Even in this heat, I still have two duvets on me at night and l sleep soundly the whole night through!
I think l have a different thermostat to other humans!

My ex partner used to suffer with the heat and he put a tall fan up in the bedroom and left it on all night.
In the morning, l couldn’t open my eyes, they were so dry and sore. The fan, had dried them out!
Never again would l have a fan in the bedroom.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:07 PM

Hi Susan I am not a fan of the heat either and don't cope well, among other things it makes me breathless.

I think today is the last day of this mini heatwave and tomorrow should be better.

I went to the trouble of making black out linings for the curtains to keep the heat in in the winter, they are also keeping the heat out so at least the sitting room is cool.

My son has a Dyson fan, they are expensive but good. I noticed when the Queen was on TV yesterday and she had one next to her chair.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:09 PM

....if I am hot in the night I run the pulse point on my wrists under the cold tap, it helps.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:11 PM

When my son was younger, he used to take a cold hot water bottle to bed. He filled it with ice cold water.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Awful isn't it, far too hot as 20ºC to 22ºC is the ideal for me, if it's above that plus the humidity I just cannot function. Earlier this morning at 03.00am it was 25.7ºC in my hallway, the coolest place in the house. Later this afternoon it was 29.7ºC there, outside was even hotter. As for upstairs rooms I dare not even chance going up there!

This is in Cambridgeshire, so not 'down south', by the way Scotland is enjoying weather they don't usually get, warm evenings where they can comfortably sit outside!

Tonight it will be a spare mattress on the floor of the lounge with the fan going all night! I just hope it cools down soon as I cannot take much more of this, not good for anyone who suffers with the heat. This must end sometime, surely?

Hope everyone is managing to keep cool and nobody is suffering too badly, especially those with health problems.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Susan I wouldn't move further North if I were you .Winters will much colder and already you suffer much more in winter already ?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:35 PM

Baz sorry to read you're suffering so much .
We had a lovely breeze this morning so all the doors and windows were open in my ground floor flat breeze blowing through all rooms , but this afternoon I had to go out and it was blistering heat ,relentless .
I staggered into the air conditioning in a Sainsburys to cool down .
This is not good for anyone except those living here from countries where they're used to figures of 40 and more .
Hope it cools down for you ,the sky is darkening here in Yorkshire,so we may yet have a storm during the night . At present I'm relaxing on my bed close to a window but there's no breeze at all now .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top