Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Funtime memories of yesteryear

The thread I made yesterday about smells of yesteryear got me thinking about other memories of bygone days.

My best friend and I were reminiscing about games and fun we made in childhood and I mentioned how we would take one on mum's nylon stockings and put a tennis ball in it to play a game. We would stand with our back to a wall and throw the ball in stocking over our shoulder and between our legs tryingng to not hit ourselves. While doing so we would recite this:
PK penny packet first you chew it then ya crack it, then ya stick it up yer jacket PK penny packet .

Did you play that game or was it a Yorkshire thing?

I want a game now, now where did I put my nylons?

I.m so glad I was a child in those days and not today, games today just don't seem to be such fun today.

Oooooooo remember the clackers? I had many a bruised wrist with those but boy did I have fun clacking!

What games do you remember playing and having fun and guys I don't mean doctors and nurses hahaha
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Re: Funtime memories of yesteryear

We were big rope skippers in our street
Even double Dutch skipping
We must have been pretty good!
And fit!!
Hopscotch was another one
And we had dens where we played House or Tarzan
We loved doing twizzies too where we would let go over one another's hands at great speed and catapult backwards on to the grass
And rollies over fence bars

My brothers played mostly football and sometimes cricket
Everyone had a bike!

In the evenings boys and girls played more together..
Stuck in the mud
British Bulldogs
Tip
Hide and Seek
Blocky 123
Piggyback fights
Manhunt

Great times
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
We were big rope skippers in our street
Even double Dutch skipping
We must have been pretty good!
And fit!!
Hopscotch was another one
And we had dens where we played House or Tarzan
We loved doing twizzies too where we would let go over one another's hands at great speed and catapult backwards on to the grass
And rollies over fence bars

My brothers played mostly football and sometimes cricket
Everyone had a bike!

In the evenings boys and girls played more together..
Stuck in the mud
British Bulldogs
Tip
Hide and Seek
Blocky 123
Piggyback fights
Manhunt

Great times
Oh I remember Dutch skipping, used to twine that rope like mad lol . What was blocky 123 Rhi?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Oh I remember Dutch skipping, used to twine that rope like mad lol . What was blocky 123 Rhi?
A bit like Hide and Seek but if you were found the seeker had to name you after shouting Blocky 123 at the "base"
However.. as a hider, if you could tap base before the seeker and shout blocky 123 you were safe
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
A bit like Hide and Seek but if you were found the seeker had to name you after shouting Blocky 123 at the "base"
However.. as a hider, if you could tap base before the seeker and shout blocky 123 you were safe
Thanks for explaining, sounds very familiar x
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 11:00 AM

My best friend and I were reminiscing about games and fun we made in childhood and I mentioned how we would take one on mum's nylon stockings and put a tennis ball in it to play a game. We would stand with our back to a wall and throw the ball in stocking over our shoulder and between our legs tryingng to not hit ourselves. While doing so we would recite this:
PK penny packet first you chew it then ya crack it, then ya stick it up yer jacket PK penny packet.
I remember girls doing the ball-and-stocking thing, but they sort of did a one-legged skipping routine by flicking the ball in a circle and using the other leg to jump over the stocking. It must have been a hell of an exercise routine!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Apart from doing the many obvious games like football, skipping and hposcotch, a popular game we used to play in our back garden was something i think is called 'Tag'. one person is the 'tagger' and the rest had to reach a given area of the garden. If you made a dash for the target area of the garden and the 'tagger' was either able to physical catch you or to just be able to touch you 'tag', you swapped places with the tagger. The only 'safe zones' were places where you was able to prevent yourself from touching the ground with your feet. If you touched the ground, you was considered 'in play' and could be tagged.

Many times we would be on the swings of the slide or standing inside a wheelbarrow to make sure we were not touching the ground . I think the game was called tag, not sure though.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 03:38 PM

The thread I made yesterday about smells of yesteryear got me thinking about other memories of bygone days.

PK penny packet first you chew it then ya crack it, then ya stick it up yer jacket PK penny packet .

Did you play that game or was it a Yorkshire thing?

I want a game now, now where did I put my nylons?

I.m so glad I was a child in those days and not today, games today just don't seem to be such fun today.

Oooooooo remember the clackers? I had many a bruised wrist with those but boy did I have fun clacking!

What games do you remember playing and having fun and guys I don't mean doctors and nurses hahaha
Must admit LQ, have never heard of that game with the tennis ball in nylon stocking.

I loved playing 'Jacks' on the pavement with my friends and Marbles on the green with my brothers and their pals.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top