Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 08:58 PM

wigwams

Is it true that the American Native Indians had fires to cook by in the middle of their wigwams. That had a hole in the top to let the smoke out?

My thought are they invented central eating.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Re: wigwams

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Is it true that the American Native Indians had fires to cook by in the middle of their wigwams. That had a hole in the top to let the smoke out?

My thought are they invented central eating.
Only true if you are a cockney Realspeed?

Regards Donkeyman!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 09:20 PM

Donkeyman
Actually my father was a Cockney. born in the Mile End Road in London within the sound of Bow bells. The family firm was in Globe road just off the mile end road.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 01:14 AM

Absolutely. Here is an extract from something I found on line.....

I haven't used a wigwam, but I expect you'd have the same issues as with any shelter. You have to expect there to be some smoke, but you want the amount of smoke to be as low as possible. Perhaps the hole at the peak is not large enough, or perhaps you're not letting enough air in to feed the fire. Make sure you have a large enough crack at ground level to let the fire get sufficient oxygen. Any fire that's not getting enough oxygen will smoke more. I've been in old cabins where we had to open the front door to let air in when the fire was small. We could close it when the fire was larger.

All of those issues relate to 'draw.' The fire needs to burn hot, or the smoke won't be hot enough to rise and escape through your vent. If your air intake isn't large enough, the fire won't burn hot, and you'll have lots of lukewarm smoke that won't go anywhere.

If your vent isn't large enough, the smoke won't have anyplace to go, so it'll back up.

So, try leaving the entrance open until the fire really gets going., and make sure you have good openings top and bottom to create sufficient draw.

Oh, and it'd probably be good not to sleep between the air intake and the fire, or that cold air will run right over you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Nope it's not true.

You have yourself confused there. A little more reasearch will reveal why.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 12:36 PM

Perhaps not in wigwams, but I think they did in their tepees.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Perhaps not in wigwams, but I think they did in their tepees.
Correct
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

08-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Are my jokes to obscure, it seems so.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 03:38 PM

I thought it was a fact the fires were extinguished at night by urinating on them. Too much Tea Pee.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top