Join for free
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Wootton Bassett

A few days ago the people of the now famous Wootton Bassett gathered for the last time to pay homage to our war dead.
Thankfully this time there was no cortege passing through.

With the imminent closure of RAF Lyneham and thus the end of the repatriations through the market town, this was a ceremony to mark the end of the solemn tradition that started back in 2007 as a simple mark of respect.

This last tribute was honoured in silence by the locals who started it all and the now regular visitors, exactly in the same way as the 345 dead service people who have passed through the town.

It remains to be seen if the inevitable return, by another route, of our heroes are afforded the same respect. Somehow I doubt it, the present government will I feel be anxious to ensure that the chosen route will make it very difficult for a similar scenario to develop as it clearly shows a humanity that they do not want to see and would prefer it all to be swept under what is becoming a very large carpet.

The previous regime hated the very idea of it despite what Bliar, Brown and others might tell us. Every repatriation that passed through reminded them of the real cost of embarking on illegal wars, not for one jot was it compassion for a fallen hero it was simply a case of lost votes.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Re: Wootton Bassett

For several years, the flag-draped coffins of fallen servicemen and women have been met by large crowds who line the streets to pay their respects as they return to British soil.

But repatriation flights are to be diverted and will no longer be flown back to RAF Lyneham and through the small Wiltshire town of Royal Wootton Bassett, where they were saluted come rain or shine.

Instead, they will arrive back to RAF Brize Norton, where they will be driven through the back gate and then down side roads, neatly avoiding the nearby town of Carterton, as they make their way to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Andrew Robathan, Minister admitted that the decision to avoid public scenes of emotion had been taken deliberately.

This Hammer says it all. What waste of everyones lives.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Instead, they will arrive back to RAF Brize Norton
I have no time for any of the afore mentioned politicians. However, since they began bringing the fallen home (a relatively new thing I think which began with the 'local' Northern Ireland conflict (previously they were buried where they fell ), have they not usually been flown in to Brize Norton until it was temporarily closed for repairs to the runway?

I appreciate the sentiments behind the Wootton Basset repatriations but if I had been the family of one of the soldiers being repatriated I would have hated all the people and the media circus however well meaning . I am sure there must be people like me who would have preferred a little privacy at such a dreadful time and the dignity of a private military homecoming...
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I appreciate the sentiments behind the Wootton Basset repatriations but if I had been the family of one of the soldiers being repatriated I would have hated all the people and the media circus however well meaning . I am sure there must be people like me who would have preferred a little privacy at such a dreadful time and the dignity of a private military homecoming...
I will agree that it changed from the initial dozen folks who just paid their respects and perhaps the media could have stayed in the background.
However, the media coverage did nip a possible nasty scene in the bud when a Islamic protest march through the town was being mooted.
I do know of families that drew great comfort from the way they were looked after and indeed the tribute itself.

There always has been the private reception at Lynham.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
I will agree that it changed from the initial dozen folks who just paid their respects and perhaps the media could have stayed in the background.
However, the media coverage did nip a possible nasty scene in the bud when a Islamic protest march through the town was being mooted.
I do know of families that drew great comfort from the way they were looked after and indeed the tribute itself.

There always has been the private reception at Lynham.
Hammer it could be argued had it not been for the prospect of publicity there would not have been any Islamic protest.

I can only speak as the widow of a career soldier. Had my husband been one of the fallen I would have been horrified to find my family in the full glare of the media and would have requested some privacy.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Hammer it could be argued had it not been for the prospect of publicity there would not have been any Islamic protest.

I can only speak as the widow of a career soldier. Had my husband been one of the fallen I would have been horrified to find my family in the full glare of the media and would have requested some privacy.
At the end of the day Meg it is a matter of personal feelings.
The families that used to attend did so because they wanted to, it was a choice they made and in no way mandatory.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-09-2011, 06:28 PM

At the end of the day Meg it is a matter of personal feelings.
The families that used to attend did so because they wanted to, it was a choice they made and in no way mandatory.
...Hammer , I wasn't sure if people had a choice.
I would want to be there with my family for the homecoming but not to run the gauntness of all those people and press .

As you say it is a matter of personal choice.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-09-2011, 08:30 PM

...Hammer , I wasn't sure if people had a choice.
I would want to be there with my family for the homecoming but not to run the gauntness of all those people and press .
As you say it is a matter of personal choice.
Meg I do agree about the intrusiveness of it all , I was only really speaking about WB but as far as I am aware families did not have to attend at RAF Lynham if they did not want to.
The media were I believe invited but under strict control.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Meg I do agree about the intrusiveness of it all , I was only really speaking about WB but as far as I am aware families did not have to attend at RAF Lynham if they did not want to.
The media were I believe invited but under strict control.
The truth of the matter is Hammer there shouldn't be any returning dead soldiers to be met by grieving families.

We shouldn't have any soldiers in Afghanistan in the first place . I feel certain the moment the coalition pulls out the Taliban will return and it will all have been a futile waste of life.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2011, 06:42 PM

It is appauling the number of soldiers who have died, why the hell are they there at all, to make some little polititian into a big man, they should be ashamed of themselves.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top