Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 12:22 AM

recycling

Hello people, I haven't said much on this forum, just looked around a bit, but I have noticed that the members on here are spread far and wide, so I wondered what is the criteria for recycling in each of the areas that you inhabit, where I live we have 4 recycling bins,
1 black for general waste,
2 green for gardening waste
3 blue for paper,
4 for plastics, bottles and such,
each are collected in either a weekly, fortnightly, and in 1 case every 4 weeks, how is it in your areas.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 01:08 AM

Re: recycling

Hello aitch

I recently posted a comment on recycling in the Grumpy thread. Whilst I'm all for recycling, I get annoyed that (in this particular area) we don't have bins at all - just bags.

So, indoors I have 3 plastic type shopping bags for paper/glass & tin/plastics. When they're full, they then have to be kept somewhere outside. So we bought a storage box for this. And that's not counting the normal rubbish that's in the black bags!

Oh, and not forgetting the food waste bin and the gardening waste bag.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 02:01 AM

I'm in the States, in Washington, DC. We have one big green wheelie bin for all recycling: paper, plastic, cans and glass. Supposedly it's all separated at the center ........ pickup is once weekly.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I'm in the States, in Washington, DC. We have one big green wheelie bin for all recycling: paper, plastic, cans and glass. Supposedly it's all separated at the center ........ pickup is once weekly.
Now, I prefer that idea.....one big bin for all recycling.

When I was living in Yorkshire, someone who worked at the recycling centre said that most of it doesn't even get to be recycled at all and, it's shipped abroad!
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 08:26 AM

We have a black bin for general, brown bin for grass, and then the recyling small boxes for plastic and one for bottles.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 08:30 AM

black bag for rubbish,blue for recycle ,,,bottles have to be taken to bottle bank.
i have to take bags to top of the lane.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 08:52 AM

We have:
1 large black bin for general rubbish...
1 black box for paper, cans and glass...
1 small brown bin for kitchen waste...

Cardboard has to be put out separately (not in plastic carriers) - thus it gets soaking wet on the pavement on rainy days.

Collection is:
Large black bin collected every other week...
Everything else is collected weekly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Hello Aitch like Berxer we only have bags here.
..Black bags for general rubbish,
..Pink bags for some recyclable things eg paper/plastic/tins.
No garden waste, if you want that collected you have to buy a brown bin which is emptied at the cost of £65 a year.
Bottles aren't collected,
Clothing and fabric aren't collected.

There is a weekly collection for both bags, these have to be put out at the end of the garden at 7am.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 09:58 AM

It's amazing how all the areas vary. Here in Nottinghamshire we have three wheelie bins:
Green for non-recyclable
Blue for recyclables (but not glass)
Brown for garden waste

We like the bins as we can keep them on our yard out of sight with an easy level walk to the stree on collection day, but we do feel sorry for people who have much less space or have steps to negotiate...
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 10:33 AM

In the area where I live are quite a lot of terraced houses, imagine a row of those with only a small back yard, and 4 wheelie bins, to be manipulated to the front of the house each week, and having to be out for 7am each time, it paints a pretty grim picture in my mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top