Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Hailstorm.

Hi

I know we complain about the summer weather here, including the recent thunderstorms.

This ridiculous.

https://news.sky.com/story/freak-hai...ajara-11752298
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Re: Hailstorm.

Can't read/watch it, I refuse to click their button.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I know we complain about the summer weather here, including the recent thunderstorms.

This ridiculous.

https://news.sky.com/story/freak-hai...ajara-11752298
Just been watching it on the 4 oclock news. It seems that hot countries such as Mexico often get hailstorms, but this one was an absolute doozy - one and a half metres high!! (or for other metric haters such as myself) - almost five feet!!
I bet they weren't expecting that!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Can't read/watch it, I refuse to click their button.
How about this one?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48821306
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Wow! Now that's news!

I'm trying to find some meteorological information on whether it was a front/system of some sort or just a pop-up storm that produced it.

Those kids must have been absolutely thrilled! I am sure the've never seen snow, let alone ice like that before.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
How about this one?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-48821306
Wow! Yes, thank you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:00 PM

It seems that there was a small low pressure air mass that was building to the north with the summer heat supplying the warm, moist air. Storm development was accelerated by orographic lifting over the mountains to the north, followed by cooling/condensing/raining as the storm moved south.

All the while, the surrounding front or air mass was supplying more energy into the storm, which allowed droplets to move up in the storm, freeze, fall, cool - and continue to take in enough energy to force the hailstones upward and form more layers. The whole up-down-layering-like-an-onion cycle repeated with the hailstones getting larger until they became to too heavy to be supported by the updrafts in the storm and fell.

The storm hail-making machine kept right on going because the energy that would have normally dissipated when the hail fell was continued to be fed by nearby warm/moist air mass that was all but staying in one place.

It was, you see, a perfect storm!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
It seems that there was a small low pressure air mass that was building to the north with the summer heat supplying the warm, moist air. Storm development was accelerated by orographic lifting over the mountains to the north, followed by cooling/condensing/raining as the storm moved south.

All the while, the surrounding front or air mass was supplying more energy into the storm, which allowed droplets to move up in the storm, freeze, fall, cool - and continue to take in enough energy to force the hailstones upward and form more layers. The whole up-down-layering-like-an-onion cycle repeated with the hailstones getting larger until they became to too heavy to be supported by the updrafts in the storm and fell.

The storm hail-making machine kept right on going because the energy that would have normally dissipated when the hail fell was continued to be fed by nearby warm/moist air mass that was all but staying in one place.

It was, you see, a perfect storm!
Hi

A perfect storm for the average man is forgetting his wedding anniversary and also forgetting to pick up her Mother from the Station when she was coming to stay the weekend to celebrate it..

Not me I hasten to add, but an Ex Colleague did.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

01-07-2019, 08:22 PM

I'm sure he did a better job remembering in his second marriage.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 11:00 PM

What an amazing sight that must have been ..... and painful too with that many hailstones hammering down!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top