Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:29 PM

The school prom

What a ghastly importation from the US .
Now it appears parents spent up to a £1000 on prom dresses .
Also for a shy or non confident child it must be purgatory .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:34 PM

Re: The school prom

Yes, I can't think of a bigger waste of time and money. It's WAY over the top when going to a normal party or evening meal is all the fuss leaving school deserves.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Yes. I agree.

And what about all the kids who's parents can't afford those ridiculously priced dresses, how do they feel?
I know when I brought up my son without his Dad I didn't have money to throw around like that - had he been a girl of course.

That's a point. Do the boys have 'a do' as well, or is it only a daughter's thing?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:40 PM

I know there wasn't anything like that in our day - but I wish there had been.

I would have loved it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:42 PM

I would have hated it.
Not my thing at all.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:47 PM

I think it's just another money grabbing Marketing Trick.

There must be, at least, one "go out and spend lots of money" day in every UK Month.

Buying tickets? Someone is getting rich!

Buying new clothes? Someone is getting rich!.

Hiring a Limo? - Someone is getting rich!.

Bunch of Flowers? - Someone is getting rich!

The stress, for those without partners, without money, without the "looks" must be high!

The parents are not getting rich !

A good time to be elsewhere on holiday?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Indeed .....

I read the article earlier but hesitated to start a thread about prom dresses .....

Prom costs: How families pay for the big night

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48769244

Sixteen-year-old Georgina's got just a few days until her end of school prom.

She found her dream dress months ago and is now in the final stages of preparing for the big night.

"You've got your spray tan, getting your nails done, hair and make-up, accessories, jewellery, my friends and I are taking a limo there and back - it's a lot to think about," she says.

For her parents, all of that is costing about £1,000 - and her mum Stephanie says it's worth every penny.

Stephanie wants her daughter to have the prom she never had

Proms are being held around the UK for pupils who have finished their GCSE exams, marking the official end of secondary school.

It's a tradition that's long been popular in the United States, but the British Council estimates that at least 85% of schools in the UK have embraced them too.
What a dreadful event to have imported from the USA - it's all about money and status, nothing to do with achievement .....

There are also several charities around the UK that take referrals from schools and social services to provide prom clothes, make-up and transport for those that can't afford them.

Chloe Levelle helps provide prom outfits for families who can't afford them. "To have your child come home and say, prom is in four months - I need a dress, shoes, make-up, car, prom ticket - what's that going to do to your budget? The pressure on the parents - I can't even imagine."

"You're looking at £1,000 to get to prom and have everything you want. That's ludicrous. That's a family holiday to Spain," she says.

"One of the girls I've had in, her friends are going to prom in a helicopter. It was £500 each.

"Obviously she couldn't afford it, so we're providing her with a car to get there. But £500 for a helicopter ride, which is 30 minutes? When is it going to stop?"
When indeed .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think it's just another money grabbing Marketing Trick.

There must be, at least, one "go out and spend lots of money" day in every UK Month.

Buying tickets? Someone is getting rich!

Buying new clothes? Someone is getting rich!.

Hiring a Limo? - Someone is getting rich!.

Bunch of Flowers? - Someone is getting rich!

The stress, for those without partners, without money, without the "looks" must be high!

The parents are not getting rich !

A good time to be elsewhere on holiday?
Exactly .....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 04:17 PM

I wouldn't have gone. The very thought of it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

30-06-2019, 04:27 PM

I would imgine, too, that many of the "richer" kids will want their "festival season" funded and their "gap year" bankrolled .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top