Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Criticise.

Are there any areas in your life that you criticise yourself over?

Any ideas why some of us may do this?

Maybe it's to do with confidence,?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Re: Criticise.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Are there any areas in your life that you criticise yourself over?

Any ideas why some of us may do this?

Maybe it's to do with confidence,?
Too many to count.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Too many to count.

Same here,keezoy.

Is it a good thing?

Why do you think we do it?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

30-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Admin,sorry,should this topic be posted in social?

As it might be a bit to deep for general.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 02:23 PM

I don't think all self criticism is bad. Having uninhibited behaviour is what happens when your frontal lobe is damaged and that inner check stops working. It can lead to uncontrolled rage or criminal behaviour.

So questioning yourself is crucial to getting on with others, but only useful as long as it doesn't lead to inertia, social withdrawal or depression. Being self critical is also useful as an aid to learning from your mistakes. But it needs to be understanding and kind too.

It's when you have a parental voice in your head that it leads to problems. For decades I have stopped using any inner voice to put myself down. But I remember feeling that way in my early youth. I switched it off when I was 25.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

30-06-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think all self criticism is bad. Having uninhibited behaviour is what happens when your frontal lobe is damaged and that inner check stops working. It can lead to uncontrolled rage or criminal behaviour.

How does the frontal lobe get damaged,Annie?..

So questioning yourself is crucial to getting on with others, but only useful as long as it doesn't lead to inertia, social withdrawal or depression. Being self critical is also useful as an aid to learning from your mistakes. But it needs to be understanding and kind too.

It's when you have a parental voice in your head that it leads to problems. For decades I have stopped using any inner voice to put myself down. But I remember feeling that way in my early youth. I switched it off when I was 25.

That darn "inner voice" has a lot to answer for!...

I refuse to put myself down.

But when it comes to baking...it keeps telling me to up my game!.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
That darn "inner voice" has a lot to answer for!...

I refuse to put myself down.

But when it comes to baking...it keeps telling me to up my game!.
Me too Pauline! As a Virgo, we are known to be perfectionists, and it certainly is the case with me and a batch of cupcakes made in a muffin tin. If there are any that are not uniformly similar, into the bin they immediately go as I don't wish anyone to see cakes I've made with flaws!! I'd rather have 9 or 10 perfectly made than 12 with a few imperfect.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

30-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Me too Pauline! As a Virgo, we are known to be perfectionists, and it certainly is the case with me and a batch of cupcakes made in a muffin tin. If there are any that are not uniformly similar, into the bin they immediately go as I don't wish anyone to see cakes I've made with flaws!! I'd rather have 9 or 10 perfectly made than 12 with a few imperfect.

Same here,Shropshiregirl,I am a Virgo born in September.

I have done the same with a chocolate cake,cost me a fortune in ingredients,...it tasted sour,so straight into the bin!....thank goodness I haven't made another mistake like that in some time...
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 02:41 AM

I'm a Virgo also. (3rd of September) So was my older brother (died in 2000)
We were very similar in some ways and totally different in others. No surprises there. But we were both perfectionists and we both set high standards for ourselves and could be very self critical. He was, on the other hand, much more confident than I was. (I am much better in that way now) My sister on the other hand is very laid back and has always been 100% confident in herself. If she was ever self critical we never saw it. I can be realistic about most things and accept that I am not brilliant at everything ( very little in fact) But I am very picky and self critical about my musicianship and my cooking.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Too many to count.
Ditto!
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

Good post.
Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Perhaps a bit of perfectionism is part of an OCD spectrum.
There was a period of time that I had trained that inner voice.
Now there are times when that voice runs rampant. 🤭😬

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top