Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:27 AM

I am in Trouble.

Hi

Jakob, the autistic Pretendie had his birthday, he is 11.

He has been asking about the Moon and Stars, something they did at his Special School.

They went to a Planetarium.

He was fascinated.

Me being me, I gave him a telescope for his Birthday.

He loves it.

Unfortunately I did not think that we are in Summer, so the only way he can use it is in the night.

He is setting his alarm for 1 in the morning and then using it for a couple of hours.

Mum and Dad are not best pleased.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Re: I am in Trouble.

It could have been worse, you could have given him a drum kit if he was enthusiastic about having one. Imagine the noise from that on and off throughout the house for most of every day and every evening!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:38 AM

How thoughtful of you swim , he wont forget your kindness . When i was young my father had a telescope i was fascinated by it . I still love the starlit nights
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

He has been asking about the Moon and Stars, something they did at his Special School.

He was fascinated.

He loves it.

Unfortunately I did not think that we are in Summer, so the only way he can use it is in the night.

He is setting his alarm for 1 in the morning and then using it for a couple of hours.

He might be interested to visit Luke Jerram's Museum of the Moon when it comes to either Birmingham in July, or Derby in September. (Other places in Britain as well, but those are nearest to Shropshire).
It features a giant scale model (7metres diameter) of the moon suspended in mid-air, as well as other moony things!

https://my-moon.org/about/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

He was fascinated.

He loves it.

The answer to this is for his parents to remove his alarm overnight & wake him in the mornings..... or even remove his telescope overnight. I know Autism is a difficult illness, but they still have to learn rules!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:55 AM

One of my young granddaughters had a telescope bought for her birthday. It was quite a good one that allowed something like details of the surface of the moon to be seen. That was then linked up to either an iPad or laptop, not sure which, by her father. She could then take either photographs or screen shots of what the telescope saw and save them. As a result she now has an album of digital photographs to look at and refer to.

With new technology and the help of Mr Google, today's youngsters are quite knowledgeable about subjects in which they are interested. Far different from my younger days at that age.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 09:10 AM

A telescope in summer here where I live ... you might see the odd bare nipple.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
A telescope in summer here where I live ... you might see the odd bare nipple.
Or 'The Great Bear' d00d...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:41 AM

I never even had a grandad so he is very lucky to have you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Jakon has been bitten! There is no cure!

Haha, what an exceptional gift. Unless you want to be up all night supervising:

1. Think about getting him an indoor star projector for the cooler months and hours past curfew.

2. Get a poster of the moon - a good, detailed one. Have him put it as far down a hall as possible at the lowest magnification and give him the assignment of learning first the seas (mares) and then the craters.

3. Make sure he has an app like Star Chart. Remarkably, he can actually play around with and se the map of this night sky while he's indoors.

The moon museum looks fabulous. Feed that curiosity, and yes, whatever you do, don't give him drums - or a trumpet. Stars are much quieter. Maybe one day he'll work in one of my "offices" .

Stars above, clouds below:

The telescopes in the first photo are on the left and perpendicular to the perspective in the first photo. The yellow stakes are for measuring snow depth:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top