Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 02:39 PM

After you've gone ...

Have you given much thought to the disposal of your mortal remains after you no longer need them? Perhaps you have got a full plan written out and stashed away?

I was a bit taken aback at reading of a new development - body liquification. My initial reaction is to recoil a bit but maybe that's just the shock of the new?

No ... I don't think it will prove popular
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Re: After you've gone ...

the way i look at it is,when im gone,im gone,,they can do what they like with me,,i aint gonna be around to worry about it,
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 02:49 PM

I'd just not imagined being poured down the drain!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 03:18 PM

No thank you, that's not for me ......I hope!

Somehow, I can't visualise close family members going down that path either
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Funny I was only thinking about 'disposal' this morning as I await news of a friend's funeral.

I am happy to be 'cleanly' burnt but my sensibilities do not like the idea of being poured down the drain. I guess those who are buried are to some extent poured down the drain as they dissolve in the wet ground.
dinahsmum
SW England

30-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Mmm
I'd sort of absorbed the view that my remains would be cremated and that would be that; pretty simple, neat, all gone etc but I am tending towards a woodland burial now. Not a grave as such, just interred in a wicker or toughened cardboard casket and put under the ground in a natural(ish) setting. No headstones and the like.
It seems to fit my spending time on my allotment, being close to nature etc. I would really be giving something back to the earth, wouldn't I, if I could grow a nice rowan tree or a blackberry bush? Maybe more like poison ivy or stinging nettle though!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 03:50 PM

"Body tissue is dissolved and the liquid poured into the municipal water system"??? No thanks!

I've told my kids to have me cremated and scatter the ashes under a nice big tree far away from civilization.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 03:57 PM

I like the idea of a woodland burial as well. I have always loved the forest and would like to give something back to the earth, even if it's just my decomposing cadaver, but being poured down the drain really doesn't seem attractive at all...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Cremation here. Odd the repugnance most of us have thinking about liquidation; after all, once we're gone it really doesn't matter. But there's an undoubted YUK! factor there. Woodland burial is a cool idea, but it would be difficult here as almost all the woods, parks, are owned: federal, state, corporations, private landowners; I imagine getting permission would be difficult to impossible. There is an Eastern sect that lays the body out for the vultures .....
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-08-2011, 05:48 PM

One could always leave any remains to medical science, no funereal costs to worry about then.
A long time ago I used to help out in the disposal industry albeit on a part time basis, quite a revelation at times.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top