Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 03:02 PM

New Topics?

I realise that I may get some flak on this but could someone tell me why so few start new threads?

Looking through "Latest posts" I'm often struck by that as I get email notifications every time a post has been added to one that I've subscribed to; the same threads are coming up again and again yet these topics are getting a bit long in the tooth now.
This isn't really a "grump", more a question!! stevmk2
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Re: New Topics?

It was the same on the other Forum I used to be on, Everyone was ready to add their bit but found it hard to find something intersting to to start a Thread about. Also there's the fear of getting shot down in flames, what amuses some is highly insulting to others....I found that one out to my cost. Makes one wary.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
It was the same on the other Forum I used to be on, Everyone was ready to add their bit but found it hard to find something interesting to to start a Thread about. Also there's the fear of getting shot down in flames, what amuses some is highly insulting to others....I found that one out to my cost. Makes one wary.
Much as I suspected Roxy - unfortunately.
I've encountered the same thing on another two forums but not continually. It usually happened after there had been a spat of some kind - almost as if everyone was either fuming, foaming at the mouth or terrified of it all kicking off again!
I have also noticed that there is often only about 6 named people on at the times that I come on so I suppose that in itself answers the question to a certain extent. stevmk2
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I realise that I may get some flak on this but could someone tell me why so few start new threads?
The simple answer is because people like using forums in different ways. Some like to post threads, some like to post in threads more. Sometimes people mix it up - that's cool, and people can use the forum however they wish... so long as it is within the rules
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 09:11 PM

I worry that the same topic has already been discussed & I'm going over old ground ... I would have to trawl thru' all previous threads to find out if this were the case.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by jennywren ->
I worry that the same topic has already been discussed & I'm going over old ground ... I would have to trawl thru' all previous threads to find out if this were the case.
Don't worry about it Jennywren it doesn't matter. If a topic has been discussed very recently the threads can be merged ,you go ahead and post as many threads as you like.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

26-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by jennywren ->
Jennywren, I just do a quick run through the search box facility to see if anything has been posted. I then still muck it up by posting mindless drivel that no one reads anyway so fear not my friend.

The point about new threads is finding something of interest that at least a few members would be interested enough to post about. It also depends what content people like to see on a subject. Some garrulous people like me will talk for ever on not very much while others are happy to post just the bare essentials.
As long as we all communicate.
Vive la difference.

Now about that Steam Ship Navigation.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Post and be damned, why don't you?

If it grabs people's attention they will reply; if it doesn't they won't
Nobody dies, either way

Just Do It (my Phrase du Jour)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top