Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Ungrateful critter!

I was sat with my cat as usual on my keyboard when we spotted a black beetle running across the carpet.
Not want it to get eaten by said cat, who had her eye on it for lunch, I got up & picked it up to set free outside the door ..... & it bit me!
Or should that be pinched me?!

It made me jump & in shaking it off it went for a short flight across the patio which I'm sure it wasn't expecting!:twisted

I never knew beetles could bite ... & next time I'll let nature take it's course!

I googled the bloomin' thing & it said always pick them up holding them either side as they can't turn their heads to bite ... hmmmm ... they're not going to get the chance again!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Re: Ungrateful critter!

Oh dear Cathy I learnt my lesson some years ago when I picked up a long thin orange thing with wings in the hall and it bit me . Insects can be so ungrateful

Do you know what it was?
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Not really Meg other than a shiny black beetle ... the kind you see now & again in the garden.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Better keep an eye on the bite just in case, you never know with these things. Perhaps it was taking it out on you for the awful summer we had!Fancy having to live outside in the terrible rain we seem to have had all summer.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 11:06 PM

I didn't know they could bite either Cathy, I hope your bite is harmless and thanks for putting me wise.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 11:16 PM

I got bitten today too, or pinchered. One of the grandchildren was going on and on that she had caught a certain crab (out of 20 or so) and grandad had put it in her sister's bucket and not in hers. Muggins here had to pick it out and swap it to the right red bucket. The horrible thing nipped me hard! Well lI think it did, it hurt.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 11:33 PM

You're braver than me jennywren I tend to save those clear plastic pots and use them to catch critters with then put them outside. Even if it's a big fat hairy spider (then it has to be a much larger pot - I won't kill anything though.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 02:38 AM

I catch and release when I can, but always with a jar or clear plastic cup. Other than the odd mouse, which I don't mind picking up by the tail.
jennywren
South West, UK

22-08-2011, 09:12 PM

I'll be following your example from now on Annie Jack!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 02:45 AM

Beetles can give you a very nasty pinch! But it wouldn't have been a good lunch for the cat, glad you got it out. I try to do trap and release with 6 legged things, but stomp spiders!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top