Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 04:26 AM

Another move towards the end of cash?

We already have supermarkets with self-service tills where we check out our purchases ourselves and pay by card, one assistant attending to several of these. Now though a supermarket is being piloted which has no tills.

"A leading UK supermarket chain is trialling a store with no tills, so customers are expected to pay for items with their app."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busine...h-has-no-tills

What do you think of this idea, would you use this technology or shop elsewhere?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 07:05 AM

Re: Another move towards the end of cash?

Asda tried that here a while ago - went entirely self-service - and lost so many customers - they had to re-install staffed tills.

I have used self-service tills on occasions when I have had only one or two items - always used cash though. Would not pay by app.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 07:27 AM

I always think deeply about this kind of change & look at the bigger picture.
If this becomes the norm, people will lose their jobs, so how will they earn money when jobs are so difficult to find. Computerization was always destined to dramatically change how we live, but my vision of the future is not one I would want to live in. All those futuristic films, about people lives being totally controlled by computers, are already showing to be possible fact, rather than fiction!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 07:40 AM

It is only a matter of time till your Phone will burn a hole in your pocket.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:39 AM

an almost cashless society is inevitable the way we are going, certainly I can't wait until my phone replaces the ridiculous number of cards that I have to carry.

I used to use ATMs several times a week but now my FU money sits in my wallet for weeks without being touched because I can use my card for most purchases.

It takes time for people to accept these checkout changes but I notice that the self service tills are getting busier as people become more familiar with them. In fact I hope they will introduce '12 items or less' at the self service soon.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Its progression, but not necessarily Natural.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 08:51 AM

The problem is, as everywhere becomes cashless, and there are no need for staff to man the shops, then no one will have any jobs, and no cash to spend,
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Next step from the phone will be an implanted chip.

It's only a matter of time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Yes, Pets have been defiled in this manner for years
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Next step from the phone will be an implanted chip.

It's only a matter of time.
.... and we'll be making calls like this ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top