Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Did I Chuck It? Or, Did l Eat It?

All the staff at the place where my daughter works in Mayfair, London were given a large Thornton’s Easter Egg with their name on the egg.

My daughter doesn’t like chocolate very much, so she said, l could have it! Yeah!
This weekend, she came home and brought me the Easter egg. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t fit whole in her case so she broke it up into small pieces and put them in a supermarket carrier bag.

When she arrived home, she gave me the bag of broken chocolate egg. I took a piece to eat but it was warm and soft! I then emptied the bag of pieces into a large plastic bowl and squeezed it onto the top shelf of my fridge/freezer.

Later, fancying a piece of the chocolate. l went to the fridge/freezer, opened the door and shock, horror. The bowl of broken chocolate egg, toppled out, hit me on the head and fell to the floor! Pieces of chocolate were scattered everywhere all over the tiles.

Now, did l pick them up and put them back in the bowl to eat later, or did l sweep them up and chuck them?

What did l do? Or even better, what would you have done?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Re: Did I Chuck It? Or, Did l Eat It?

Made sure the dog didn't get it.............
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 01:33 PM

I would look at it this way...... bacteria rarely congregate on cold things, they like the warm & it had been in the freezer
If it was me, I think i would have had a little nibble!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would look at it this way...... bacteria rarely congregate on cold things, they like the warm & it had been in the freezer
I would also have had a nibble ... or two ... or three.....or ...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Twink, lt was in the fridge part. I said, fridge/freezer to indicate the height of the fridge which is over the freezer.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I would also have had a nibble ... or two ... or three.....or ...
In other words, Mags. You would have scoffed the lot?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Made sure the dog didn't get it.............
Besoeker, l haven’t got dogs anymore (Boo Hoo) besides, l wouldn’t let them eat chocolate as it could make them very ill or kill them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Personally, I'd chuck it .....

But .....

It's Now Safe to Eat Food That's Been Dropped on the Floor

https://www.glamour.com/story/five-second-rule

According to a study out of Aston University in Birmingham, England, "rigid foods"—such as biscuits, cookies, sandwiches, dry toast, and chocolate—can be on the floor for up to 30 minutes with little increased risk of attracting germs. "Dry foods, hard foods are really quite low-risk," the lead researcher, professor Anthony Hilton, told the Daily Mail. "Not only do they not pick up much bacteria on impact with the floor, but they do not get any additional contamination over time."

The study did find, though, that certain foods were likely to pick up more bacteria the longer they remained on the floor. That list includes things like cooked pasta, chips, donuts, sweets, and buttered toast. "It is less safe to leave damper, stickier foods, which pick up more after falling and more over time," Hilton said. "The five-second rule probably does still apply to them."

It also matters what type of flooring the food falls onto: Foods dropped on laminate or tile became more contaminated than those dropped on carpet. But across all types of flooring, the food dropped picked up fewer than .0004 percent of the average 10 million bacteria found on a family floor.

So here comes the good news, germophobes: It is generally safe to eat all food that has been dropped on a residential floor that is mopped or vacuumed once a week, no matter the timing.
I'd still chuck it .....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Twink, lt was in the fridge part. I said, fridge/freezer to indicate the height of the fridge which is over the freezer.
It would still be cold! Can you ask Mags to save some for me?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 02:44 PM

I'd have thrown the chocolate away. If it fell on the floor goodness knows what germs it picked up & I have a sensitive digestiff system.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top