Join for free
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Airshows

On hearing tonight the sad news that a Red Arrows pilot died having been at an airshow (some details are still sketchy) in Bournemouth, it makes me wonder should these airshows go ahead.

I had the privilege of seeing the Red Arrows last weekend at Eastbourne Airbourne and they never fail to amaze me with their skills and wonderful displays. I totally respect the fact that they are a part of our armed forces and many of them have done their tour of duty for their country.

Do you think we should continue with such airshows, or are they a far too great a risk?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Re: Airshows

We don't have anything like airshows over here Wonda, least not of any I know of so I can't really comment, just that if the comrades of the unfortunate pilot think it's best to continue with the displays of their brilliant skills, they should be allowed to, but thats just an outsiders view.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 09:43 PM

they are in the RAF,so dont spose they have a choise,nomore than a squaddie has being sent Afganistan.

as its the first death in 33 years,they have a good safety record.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wonda ->
On hearing tonight the sad news that a Red Arrows pilot died having been at an airshow (some details are still sketchy) in Bournemouth, it makes me wonder should these airshows go ahead.

I had the privilege of seeing the Red Arrows last weekend at Eastbourne Airbourne and they never fail to amaze me with their skills and wonderful displays. I totally respect the fact that they are a part of our armed forces and many of them have done their tour of duty for their country.

Do you think we should continue with such airshows, or are they a far too great a risk?
It is very sad that this young pilot has lost his life but whether it is at Air Shows or elsewhere pilots need to practice to hone their skills.
There is an element of risk when anyone flies, if pilots don't get sufficient time in the air I would think they are at a greater risk of having an accident from lack of experience.
So if we look upon Air Shows as flying practice logically they such should continue.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 01:36 PM

I am a bit if'y on this.

I have been to numerous air shows and really enjoyed them.

They do bring in money for the communities but on the other hand they burn up a lot of fuel.

Mother natures resources and pollution against community income and jobs!!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 01:49 PM

It is so sad, I must have seen that pilot flying at Bournemouth Air Show this weekend. Our local paper says he lost his life after returning to Hurn Airport after the show and somehow he veered off and didn't land properly. Of course the shows must continue, besides the Red Arrows the sponsors keep many old war planes in the sky. To sit on the beach and witness the wonder in the faces of children and teenagers at the sight of these planes is worth it all.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
It is so sad, I must have seen that pilot flying at Bournemouth Air Show this weekend. Our local paper says he lost his life after returning to Hurn Airport after the show and somehow he veered off and didn't land properly. Of course the shows must continue, besides the Red Arrows the sponsors keep many old war planes in the sky. To sit on the beach and witness the wonder in the faces of children and teenagers at the sight of these planes is worth it all.
Have been to a number of airshows in my life. I saw the Black Arrows (forerunner of the now Red Arrows) in Hawker Hunters many years ago and one of their number - a man by the name of Kelly, whilst doing a low flying stunt, misjudged his height in doing a roll, and his wing tip hit the ground. The aircraft smashed into the railway bank and Kelly was killed instantly. This did not then and has not subsequently stopped airshows. There have been many recorded tragedies at such events across America and Europe and no doubt there will be others, it is in the nature of some men and women to 'push the envelope' of the possible.

Whilst this latest tragedy is very sad, I do hope and trust that it will not result in the banning of airshows or lead to the disbandment of the Red Arrows.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 06:06 PM

This will have no effect on airshows at all, and nor should it. Pilots of fast jets live for the thrill and the adrenaline high of the danger, but sometimes their luck just runs out. As in a war, collateral damage is accepted as just part of the job, and no-one would ever suggest not doing it, using danger as the reason. If it wasn't dangerous then it wouldn't be exciting, and why then would anyone want to either do it or watch it?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top