Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Our increasingly violent society

Having been born in north London and worked in the capital for over 20 years I have only on the odd occasion felt unsafe there at any time of the day and night. Nowadays though, increasing levels of violence in society means our streets appear no longer safe. Police are also it seems no longer able to police as they used to, probably due to cuts in their number but also that violence is increasing.

The link below to a police officer's comments on his job give an indication of exactly what is happening (the odd offensive word is used):

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ife-crime-cuts

Other services, such as NHS staff in our hospitals, especially in A&E are also coming under violent attacks. Just what has to be done to get our country back to the days when it was not like it is now? Another link below, this one to problems of violence in hospitals:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-02/...getting-worse/

Many of us on here remember the days when it was safe to be out in our cities, towns and villages, what are your comments on why this has changed so much? What do you believe needs to happen to stop the ever-increasing levels in violence today?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Re: Our increasingly violent society

I watched a police programme the other night about this Baz, it is getting rapidly worse wherever we go.
They were showing the Ambulance people getting attacked, NHS staff, and even the police themselves. One police woman repeatedly was getting her head slammed against her car by a bloke.

I wouldn't feel safe out at night walking anymore, partly because I am very aware I am not as fast or quick thinking as I used to be.

I used to walk my dogs before bedtime, but I wouldn't even do that now.
Mind you, I had several German Shepherds then, so I felt pretty well protected.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 11:54 AM

As an OAP who doesn't go out at night, I feel perfectly safe here in Hammersmith.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 12:13 PM

I am sure we could all be tempted to steal, if our family or ourselves were starving, but only violent thugs would risk taking another persons life...or even seriously damaging them!

I think there are 3 reasons for the increase:-

1) Because there doesn't seem to be enough money to adequately man our emergency services, especially the police.

2) Because too much social media is teaching people that they can do violent things, & often not suffer a punishment that fits the crime

3) We don't have enough harsh prisons to deliver the right punishment.

How can we keep our country safe when we don't have a strong enough police force with the ability to catch violent criminals, and where do we put them when they are caught?
One day there will be no civilized countries, if we don't dramatically change how they are run
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 12:41 PM

The law's need to be changed back to how they were in olden days and hanging or some kind of death penalty needs to be put back on the list.
The prisons need to be less like holiday homes 4 walls a hand basin and a pi55 pot with thin mattressed bunk beds.

Prison officers need to be hardened ex military ready to give as good as they get and more.

Dare I say more coppers on the beat and less coppers in patrol cars hiding behind hedges on A roads. Also less time sitting in police stations writing reports.

All these things are a start back into the right direction,but you know as well as me this will never happen.

So things will just keep getting worse, so hold onto your hats we are in for a bumpy old ride ahead.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 05:12 PM

In respect of knife crime which is becoming endemic, l
believe we have imported it, as most of the immigration we
have had has come from countries that have a knife culture
in their societies, where the knife is the weapon of choice!
They are brought up with knives from a young age, and
are allowed to carry knives openly wherever they go!
So perhaps any prospective immigrants from any of these
countries should go through a sort of debriefing session
before being allowed entry to uk!
Who pays for this will be the problem, preferably not ours!

Regards Donkeyman!
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Regards Donkeyman!
Yes, knifings (at least on this scale) were practically unheard of in the UK prior to mass immigration.

Just another symptom of a crazy open-door policy foisted on us all by a mad liberal political elite.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Regards Donkeyman!
I disagree.
Many of these thugs are home grown and not imports.

It's due to inadequate sentencing and a lack of Police.
These thugs are fully aware they can get caught two or three times before a custodial sentence is likely, and even then it's often too short.
There is simply a total lack of respect for both the Police and the law in general, and no deterrent.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 06:59 PM

There are no simple answers/explanations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...:CrimeinUK.png
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I disagree.
Many of these thugs are home grown and not imports.

It's due to inadequate sentencing and a lack of Police.
These thugs are fully aware they can get caught two or three times before a custodial sentence is likely, and even then it's often too short.
There is simply a total lack of respect for both the Police and the law in general, and no deterrent.
My post dealt with knife crime pecifically Fender! and l stand
by my statement regarding a knife culture in certain countries!
But l do agree also with most of your remarks concerning
all crime in the uk!

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top