Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:44 AM

Bird Boxes.

Hi

Not sure where to put this, but here we go.

I have put up two in my garden.

One was occupied immediately by Blue Tits.

The other one has now has occupied by Great Tits.

I have not seen them for ages.

They are a joy to watch.

The simple things in life cost next to nothing, but such a pleasure.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Re: Bird Boxes.

You are so right swimfeeders.
I do have a bird box in my garden from 2 yrs ago but no occupants ! So i started putting treats in in the winter,

Mine is high 'on' the fence next to the tree but
They nip in & out for food i put in,
I think they just prefer the massive trees in the garden,
So maybe i'll put a new one 'in' the tree...

I also have 2 bird baths we get 15/20 birds plus all bathing....pure joy.
Its also very addictive...watching !
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:49 AM

Hi Lorna. Do you check inside your bird box ? Possibly something in there is stopping them from taking up residence. I always open mine up at the end of the breeding period and remove the old eggshells and the old bedding. Maybe worth a try.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Morning EZ R,
There hasnt been any obvious reasons just no takers, there are lots of bird boxes around the other gardens tho so maybe given time...

My guess is the fact we get lots of squirrels and cats and foxes.....so likely they feel its 'unsafe',
I Did try growing bramble along the bottom on one side, the aim being to nestle bird boxes in it...which of course would make it safer from all the aforementioned but it didnt take off.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Hi Lorna. Do you check inside your bird box ? Possibly something in there is stopping them from taking up residence. I always open mine up at the end of the breeding period and remove the old eggshells and the old bedding. Maybe worth a try.

I agree with EZ.
Some boxes get mites living in them, or the positioning can be wrong - too low, or not sheltered enough from wind/rain blowing in, or the birds can be just plain suspicious of something differen suddenly appearing in 'their' tree.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 09:14 PM

We have bird boxes but they are all occupied by possums.I agree, there's nothing more relaxing than watching birds being busy.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:31 PM

We have lots of songbirds here but also lots of magpies and crows. I know I'll be seeing stolen eggs and chicks but Chwis Packham says that's ok.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 11:02 AM

I have several bird boxes .
The birds don't nest in them but they do use them for roosting .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top