Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Do you read online newspapers?

This follows my thread on the technology forum about jerky web pages.

The Daily Mail is doing my head in with all it's jerking about.

Do you read on-line newspapers & which one has the smoothest running site?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Re: Do you read online newspapers?

I only really read the paper online if I wish to provide a link for a thread, otherwise I will just watch the News on TV. I have always been a big fan of the DM but it has turned into a comic. Mrs LD buys the Mail every day but really that's just for the crossword.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 09:27 AM

Not as often as I used to - most now require subscription and I CBA to add yet another username/password to my list for the sake of an occasional article .....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 10:18 AM

We have an annual subscription to mailplus, the online edition of the actual Daily Mail newspaper and is set out in exactly the same way as the newspaper but with extra pictures and videos. I think it an excellent product and great value for money, it just downloads automatically overnight so it's there as soon as you want it in the morning.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I read an article in the Mail & must have pushed a button by mistake. I ended up with lots of pop ups for articles in that paper & the local one. It was driving me nuts, so I got my computer expert in & he got rid of them for me & sorted out other things I'd done wrong. He is brilliant. Anyway no more pop ups. I won't do that again.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 10:54 AM

The days of me paying for a newspaper, be it hard copy or digital, are long gone.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 11:22 AM

I buy the paper Mail mostly because I enter the points printed on the back, and have amassed quite a few. They are partnered with Nectar, so with also shopping in Sainsbury’s the amount goes up quickly. They used to allow coupons for other stores and I’d get mine for Morrisons.

Occasionally I will use the online site if I’m a bit bored and want a news update. I’m more fed up of videos that pop up.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 12:11 PM

I google something and links come up to the story in different dailies. I dislike the tabloids, the Indi & the Times have a mention on a subscription and/or disabling my adblocker so I don't bother with them. I usually find myself reading it in the Guardian! I know they can put a lefty slant on things, but not everything, and when they do, it doesn't worry me as I like the intelligent style. And normally what I'm googling has little or nothing to do with politics.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 12:30 PM

No . I don’t watch the news either but my husband reads and watches the news.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

We used to buy the Daily Mail every Saturday, mainly for the TV magazine and the crossword.

Since the new editor has converted it into a pro-remain rag, I refuse to pay them a penny more and look only at the (free) app.

Unlike the online newspaper version of the DM, the app (on Google Play) doesn't 'jump around' as you put it, and with which I completely agree. However, I believe that they have put 'Media Studies' trainees in charge, as their command of English is appalling.

The good thing about the app, though, is that it features readers' comments for most articles which, in my opinion, are more useful than the articles themselves.

What is interesting and slightly amusing is that whilst the articles have an anti-Brexit leaning, the readers' comments are completely the opposite which would suggest that the new editor is failing to have the persuasive effect he clearly hopes for!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top