Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2011, 02:19 AM

Cornflowers

I believe these are known as chicory in Great Britain? Here they go by the name cornflowers. They come in a variety of pastel colors and are considered wild flowers.

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2011, 02:59 AM

Re: Cornflowers

Bob, stunning pic, as always! But I believe that's a variety of tickseed (calliopsis). Chicory here is a blue wildflower, am assuming it's the same in the UK?

bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Bob, stunning pic, as always! But I believe that's a variety of tickseed (calliopsis). Chicory here is a blue wildflower, am assuming it's the same in the UK?

You certainly could be correct Eileen. The center and ends of my flower didn't exactly match other cornflowers I've photographed.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2011, 07:49 PM

stunning photos, dof is spot on. Thanks for sharing.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2011, 10:03 PM

Yes Eileen Cornflowers are blue here in England, very pretty.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2011, 10:27 PM

I did wonder where Bib got chicory from (the one I posted a pic of), but see from this article in Wikipedia that some people call cornflowers chicory! Which explains that. Cornflowers are more often called bachelors buttons here on the East coast, here:s one:

And the Wikipedia info:

Centaurea cyanus (Cornflower, Bachelor's button, Bluebottle, Boutonniere flower, Hurtsickle, Cyani flower) is a small annual flowering plant in the family Asteraceae, native to Europe. "Cornflower" is also erroneously used for chicory, and more correctly for a few other Centaurea species; to distinguish C. cyanus from these it is sometimes called Common Cornflower. It may also be referred to as basketflower.
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 08:10 AM

You couldn't get more beautiful blues than those two could you?
I love the different names flowers are given ... batchelors buttons ... how lovely!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top