Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 11:11 PM

Fake emails

From Computer Active Magazine:-

Beware emails offering updates

There is yet another email scam with a fake Microsoft security patch going round the internet. Sadly not only does this contain incorrect information, but there are links that could well send users to malicious software.

Always remember that while Microsoft does produce regular security updates for software, they are never sent out by email. The same applies for banks and online shops. If you want to check if there are updates available, we recommend that you log in to the site separately, not using the links in the email.

Take note people and never open emails that you dont know where they are from
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Re: Fake emails

Thanks for the warning AB ...
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Your welcome Mags, we all need as much information about scams as we can get these days.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 02:09 AM

And, if they look the least bit suspicious, don't open but forward them to the supposed originator (your bank, etc) with the question "Phishing?" I do this every time I get one, and almost always get a thank-you and a notice that it was fraudulent and is being investigated. Just ignoring and deleting isn't any help; report it!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Many thanks AB and Eileen for keeping us up to date on these things.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Yes, thanks you guys, all useful info to techy inadequates such as I....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Be warned the Microsoft telephone scammers are around again too..
http://www.crn.com/news/security/230...BuA**.ecappj03

I had them on the phone last week as did my Sister in Law in Derbyshire. They said they were from Microsoft and asked had I experienced windows running slowly, I asked them what made them think I had a computer or windows and if I did that was my business and nothing to do with thieving scammers preying on the vulnerable
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Good for you, Meg! More people should do that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top