Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 04:32 PM

Conundrum 2 - What Makes Me Me?

You are married or in a relationship and your partner (man/woman doesn't matter) is seriously ill. They have a condition where their physical body is degrading rapidly except for the brain. Ultimately this will kill them.

Science has improved to such an extent that they can now transplant a brain into another human body.

As it transpires a body has become available. Another person is sick and suffering from an irreversible brain condition leaving that person a vegetable. They are on a life support machine with no quality of life. The brain is near dead but rest of their body is fine. There is no family left for this person, parents all dead and no children. The intention is to switch off the life support machine.

QUESTION

Would you have you partner's brain transplanted into the other body to try and save them?

If so, would it still be the same person or not?

Does the brain constitute essentially who your loved one is or is there some other part needed?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Re: Conundrum 2 - What Makes Me Me?

No, I’d have her brain transplanted into a 26 year old blonde...well it’d be a shame to waste it..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 05:16 PM

God, you're such a cheerful soul Realist!
Religion, politics, impending death, brain transplants . . .

Sort of bloke you'd love to have at a party.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 05:46 PM

Again I would not know,until I was in that position.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 05:49 PM

How on earth can anyone answer a question like that. No-one will know unless it happens to them.

Are you struggling for threads Realist?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 05:53 PM

He's struggling with something..that's for sure
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Missing the point really.

The question is, IF YOU DID transplant the brain, would that person still be your partner? Or just an automaton? Is the Nature and essence that makes your partner what he/she is something to be found in the brain or is it somewhere else?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Realist,

I think that you're trying to jet your head around something!

I've heard that, if a brain was transferred to another body, it would arrive with zero memories.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 07:27 PM

I'm with Primus!
Would the body be tall and slim and fit, a silver fox perhaps??!!
Shallow as a baking tray, me
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
God, you're such a cheerful soul Realist!
Religion, politics, impending death, brain transplants . . .

Sort of bloke you'd love to have at a party.
Well yes!
Every party needs a Realist!
Especially if someone has lit a spliff..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top