Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Aaahh, The Good Ol' 70's.

Just sitting here in the sunshine and thinking…. Ouch!

I was just admiring someones black and white family photo taken years back on OFF, and it reminded me just what it was like back then. Does anyone remember what it used to be like back in the 70’s, It was making me chuckle to myself when I remember it. Not that some of the recollections should be regarded as even remotely funny.

Back then in the early 70’s I can only recall things being dull and almost everything in black and white!

LOL, The banks closed at three, the shops closed at five and the pubs closed at 11 pm. Also, there was a bizarre gap between 3 and 6.30 pm when the pubs closed!. Why was that, I wonder? No pubs or shops were allowed to open at all around here on a Sunday!
-
Here in Shropshire, EVERYTHING closed for half day Thursday. Late night TV finished at midnight, and that little girl on the epilogue screen never seemed to get any older. Food was rather bland,the beer was warm, lager was trendy and wine was only for the wealthy. Brandy and Babycham was a cocktail, and everybody drank Tea - all the time!
In the pub, it was usually a choice of mild or bitter, with the older men ordering stout.

We invented a duo of units in the 70’s which has resulted in us now having half a gallon of milk next to a two-litre bottle, We now buy petrol by the litre but measure fuel economy in miles per gallon! It’s ridiculous.

If you bought a car, you usually had to wait months for delivery because the car manufacturers were nearly always on strike. Women and children knew their place, there
was no domestic violence although a lot of women walked into doors!!!

The 70s was a time when everybody trusted bankers, businessmen, doctors, journalists, policemen, politicians, priests, Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile.

If you were rich, white and a man, the UK was a great place to live in the early 70’s.
Otherwise, not so good.

You could get a 9-5 job at the council, not very good pay, but job security and a reliable pension. You could live in a reasonably small flat or house in a reasonable area.

At a job interview, you could just say “because I have bills to pay” instead of pretending to be deeply passionate about shelf filling. It was okay to be ordinary and not change the world.

On the plus side, full employment was there, Amazing music and youth culture because the population was on average a lot younger than today. .But older people were poorer due to inflation, while younger people enjoyed inflation-related pay rises. Housing was cheap, but it was twice as hard to borrow money. The UK was a much less crowded place as people emigrated more than they came here!.

Can’t think of anything else at the moment, Can you?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Re: Aaahh, The Good Ol' 70's.

I remember most of the above. I also remember standing outside the pub whilst the adults drank. Sometimes it was in a little room attached to the bar and often had music or a TV. We were plied with lemonade, coke or cream soda and Smith's crisps.

I remember the smell of dinner in the seaside hotels and sometimes the manager would bang a gong when it was time to eat.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Oh Crikey yes LD, I remember all the guest house owners were usually women who all looked the same as Peggy Mount in a pinny(remember her?). No food in the rooms, no sand to be brought into the house, signs up saying no uninvited guests, and the largest sign stating that if not indoors by 11 pm, the front door would be locked! aahh, memories.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh Crikey yes LD, I remember all the guest house owners were usually women who all looked the same as Peggy Mount in a pinny(remember her?). No food in the rooms, no sand to be brought into the house, signs up saying no uninvited guests, and the largest sign stating that if not indoors by 11 pm, the front door would be locked! aahh, memories.
Yes, and the door was locked too, if you were late.

At the end of the holiday, the kids would be best mates and
swap addresses on the coach home but never actually write to each other.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:30 PM

I don't remember much as I was a kid.
I know there was no Brexit.
Sorry I will go.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I don't remember much as I was a kid.
I know there was no Brexit.
Sorry I will go.

Oh, to be THAT young!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh, to be THAT young!
So is Floydy and Ffosse.
We had our school uniforms on. X
I love reading this thread.
I loved that series, Back in time for dinner.
Fascinating how times change.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 06:08 PM

Oh yes, I was at the Disco, dancing to Saturday Night Fever, also used to wear Leather Hot Pants.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 06:21 PM

I was a kid in the 70s, watching blue peter on tv, the singing ringing tree, all that stuff, as we backed onto our school playing field, it was playing football almost every night, the long hot summer of 76 and starting work for the first time, going into pubs for the first time, the silver jubilee, slade sweet , all the 70s music, and disco, desperately trying to pick up girls in the nightclub, oh, the rejection
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 06:53 PM

Yes, we could still differentiate between Red and Blue, now there is just a sea of purple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top