Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Stupidity

Having seen the thread about the motorway I thought I'd write-up some of the things that I see every day taking my wife to work, three miles away, at about 6:30 AM.
Obviously there will be the ones that cannot leave a mobile phone alone and drive with one jammed against their ears but we regularly see one, in a van, with a china cup in one hand, phone in the other and driving with his knees.
Three weeks ago a chap had broken down at a roundabout.
Where did he choose to push the car over too?
Yep, right alongside the centre of the roundabout so, not expecting it or even seeing it, I very nearly drove right into him!!
I stopped, briefly to inform him - loudly - of my opinion of his intelligence and parentage.
Heading towards a mini-roundabout one morning I saw two women in a car heading towards us coming from the opposite direction. At this mini-roundabout (the kind that just has those little raised circles in the middle) she suddenly veered sharply to her right, crossed the roundabout inches in front of me and took off down the side street, all without looking, indicating or stopping talking to her passenger. It was extremely lucky for her that I had my wits about me, having seen this time and time again.
Last Tuesday we were heading to my wife's workplace as usual and I came up behind a large truck, stopped in the middle of the main road. Thinking that maybe it was yet another lost foreign driver using cheapo Satnav, I was about to go around him when he suddenly began to reverse with absolutely no indication at all, not even any reversing lights.
I honked my horn desperately as I frantically put my car into reverse because I could see him in his right-hand cab mirror but he was looking at the other mirror - and had a phone against his right ear!!!
Luckily I managed to get far enough back and he finally saw me and braked!!
Eventful week last week - going in on Thursday a car came alongside me at a roundabout on my left. I was on the centre lane, indicating that I was turning right.
The other car then accelerated and drove up the inside of me on the roundabout, also turning right, forcing me to brake sharply to avoid hitting him as he cut across my path.
Who was driving? Well I saw Police Uniforms!!
I give up!!! stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Re: Stupidity

See the post above:
Which is why after 40 years of driving if possible I avoid driving at all these days except to the shops. Getting behind a wheel at all fills me with dread...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
See the post above:
Which is why after 40 years of driving if possible I avoid driving at all these days except to the shops. Getting behind a wheel at all fills me with dread...
I must say that these days I'm far more careful on the roads because I really cannot believe some of the really stupid things that people do in their cars!
Why are ordinary cars so powerful too - do we really need 0-60 in under 5 seconds acceleration? stevmk2
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I must say that these days I'm far more careful on the roads because I really cannot believe some of the really stupid things that people do in their cars!
Why are ordinary cars so powerful too - do we really need 0-60 in under 5 seconds acceleration? stevmk2
Its the braking you need to worry about not the acceleration
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Another reason why I'm pleased that I've always used public transportation! The roads are full of idiots.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 04:39 PM

A universal truth about driving though, it's always the other people who are the idiots...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 05:21 PM

After I passed my Test my Dad said to me...,."Well Lass now you'll go out and learn to drive" he wasn't kidding either.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Wow! that's enough to put anyone off driving, Martin!

I'm pleased now that I never learned to drive
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Neither did I Mags, no fool my Dad,after my husband died (1st one not Joe )I had encaphalitis and after i was diagnosed with Epilepsy so it was a good job I didnt learn after all.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 07:07 PM

I think we are a lot safer on our own two feet, Annie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top