Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Pretentious

I don't mean to cause any upset to anyone but I've noticed a number of posters using the rather archaic "methinks" a lot on this forum. Is there a reason for this please?
Perhaps it's a long-running joke or something? I do apologise - really - but I find it rather pretentious.
Maybe it's just me...... .....sorry......stevmk2
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 12:44 AM

Re: Pretentious

Methinks its just lil ole over sensitive you By the way I never use it It's just not how I speak.. I believe its grown ups forum-speak!!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 01:37 AM

Well, maybe a wee bit pretentious, but methinks it's better than IMO!!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 03:36 AM

Well, I says methinks on a regular basis, so like it or lump it and it isn't me being pretentious because I say that in normal conversation. I also hate text speak like IMO.

It may well be archaic English, but at least it is English and not text speak.

To be honest, methinks it was I who introduced this word to the forum so, methinks I am to blame!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 03:46 AM

This forum, perhaps, Mollie, but our sister forum Catsey has seen methinks many times before, and I am one who uses it ...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 03:53 AM

Aha, I've never seen Catsey forum Missus Dandy, so methinks we share same lingo!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 05:11 AM

Pretententious - moi . . . I think not matey

Those who really know me would never accuse me of being like that . . . I'm as common as muck mate . . . from the working classes with no time for pretenders or romancers . . . or the upper classes, as you've probably noticed . . . I earned my living and paid my way all my life with the sweat from my brow, not the sweat from other peoples brows like the upper classes do.

Methinks is an old saying used in a light hearted manner.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I don't mean to cause any upset to anyone but I've noticed a number of posters using the rather archaic "methinks" a lot on this forum. Is there a reason for this please?
Perhaps it's a long-running joke or something? I do apologise - really - but I find it rather pretentious.
Maybe it's just me...... .....sorry......stevmk2
Methinks you're short of ideas if you take umbridge over a little used word Martin. I'm one of the archaic "offenders" by the way but, like Nero says, it is used in a light hearted manner, and why not? Do we all need to speak alike and use the same terminology? Having said all that I cannot really see what is so pretentious about using the word in any case?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 08:04 AM

OK, fair enough folks. I've not seen this other forum you've mentioned so I really don't know about that but I've seen word this used as a sort of prelude to putting people down online so I was a bit apprehensive.
I thought that I'd "test the waters" to see if I got a "bite" so apologies all round. It's just me.
Now.....where was I?!!! stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 09:41 AM

I care not how people express themselves providing they do so politely

I actually prefer a little diversity in the choice of language, for me it adds interest to the posts

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top