Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 03:07 PM

London riots

No doubt you've seen this on TV today . . . I watched the whole thing live on News24 last night . . . I did'nt get to bed 'till 4:30 . . . the whole situation could've been avoided in the early stages if the police had shown a bit of tact IMO.

According to an eyewitness, who was talking directly to the news room at the BBC on his mobile, the police reacted violently towards a 16 year old girl who had walked towards the riot police with her hands up trying to get some dialogue with them.

The chap said the police then charged forwards beating the girl with batons, at which point all hell broke loose, those were the met cops BTW who have a reputation for this sort of thing by all accounts.
In the aftermath the local bobbies will have to pick up the broken pieces with the locals while the met boys will move on to other duties . . . It's a real shame and it needn't have happened.

Plans have been made by the cops for round 2 tonight because they expect more trouble but I dare say the mobile phones among the yobs have been busy today too.
A softly softly approach is gonna be needed and not a heavy handed approach like last night methinks.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Re: London riots

I was watching it too Denis, but not until 4.30 am! It was appalling to see what was happening, and I too, think it could have been avoided earlier from what has been reported. I feel so sorry for the 'innocent' people who were not involved in the riots losing their homes and businesses.

Just watching BBCNews 24, and they are reporting riots in Enfield, which I believe is not too far from Tottenham. Apparently 100 youths have been in battle with Police. Also, they are reporting that people are posting on facebook and twitter that next, there could be riots in Brixton!

How this mess is going to be sorted out, remains to be seen...those in authority really need to get their act together, before this violence escalates further.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
No doubt you've seen this on TV today . . . I watched the whole thing live on News24 last night . . . I did'nt get to bed 'till 4:30 . . . the whole situation could've been avoided in the early stages if the police had shown a bit of tact IMO.

According to an eyewitness, who was talking directly to the news room at the BBC on his mobile, the police reacted violently towards a 16 year old girl who had walked towards the riot police with her hands up trying to get some dialogue with them.

The chap said the police then charged forwards beating the girl with batons, at which point all hell broke loose, those were the met cops BTW who have a reputation for this sort of thing by all accounts.
In the aftermath the local bobbies will have to pick up the broken pieces with the locals while the met boys will move on to other duties . . . It's a real shame and it needn't have happened.

Plans have been made by the cops for round 2 tonight because they expect more trouble but I dare say the mobile phones among the yobs have been busy today too.
A softly softly approach is gonna be needed and not a heavy handed approach like last night methinks.
And you believe this chap Nero?

Do not blame the police, blame the people for creating anarchy, the same people who would shout for police help if they were in trouble.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:31 AM

There is absolutely no excuse for this lawlessness. Anybody throwing a brick or smashing a window or setting fire to anything or looting from anywhere need shooting on the spot. This anarchaic behaviour needs nipping in the bud pronto..
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
And you believe this chap Nero?

Do not blame the police, blame the people for creating anarchy, the same people who would shout for police help if they were in trouble.
I don't believe him for sure. There is always someone ready to incited others and the police are easy targets.

Anarchy & criminality are to blame here and the police were out numbered. At the end of the day it's the ordinary people who are suffering most because of it.
Les
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Les is male  Les has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 12:17 PM

It's a shame the police are in a no win situation - And the criminals are cashing in - It's the ordinary people in the community that suffer!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Its all really bad PR with a year to go until the Olympics as well. I am going to take 2 weeks of work and stay well away from London at that time as I think there could be major problems.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Rubber Bullets and water cannon would soon sort those b******s out
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 08:15 PM

So easy to blame the police, they have to put up with all sorts of provocation and a lot of it from mere children but the minute they react or try to protect themselves the hand wringers and human rights shower cry "police brutality". Let's have zero tolerance against all these scummy law breakers, the streets need to be regained and quickly or else total anarchy will prevail. Yes, what a great advert for next year's Olympics!
So sad to see the utter chaos that has resulted in ordinary innocent people losing all they have got. Whatever happened to Great Britain?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob.b ->
So sad to see the utter chaos that has resulted in ordinary innocent people losing all they have got. Whatever happened to Great Britain?
It is getting worse tonight and there are problems in Birmingham
I think some of the trouble is 'copy cat' and being organised on a certain social network site .

It is true what is said about the 'devil making work for idle hands', there are so many unemployed teenagers with nothing to do and parents who don't know what their children are doing in the evenings.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top