Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 12:54 AM

Social Statement - San Francisco

Some of my best photographs while on vacation were taken at dusk, walking the docks along the San Francisco Bay. Sadly, one of the saddest was also taken at the same location and time. Homeless folks claim their night time benches quickly, competition was steep. We live in a society of plenty yet there is an underground society largely ignored in this land of opportunity.

"Feet"

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Re: Social Statement - San Francisco

Sad. I'm afraid we'll always have the poor with us ....
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Sad. I'm afraid we'll always have the poor with us ....
Why? in this world loaded full of millionaires & billionaires why are people homeless & hungry?
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 02:29 AM

I think some choose it in preference to "family living" which is a sad sad thing to not feel safe in your own home. And choose the safety of the streets............................
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 09:14 PM

Sorry to say we have a lot of homeless people in Dublin too Bob, even more now with the banks taking repossession of homes, it's a terrible thing not to have a roof over your head. God help them everywhere.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

08-08-2011, 09:22 PM

I just became very angry with comments on a photographic forum about my photo. They actually claimed he was not homeless because his shoes and pants were in good shape. They even went as far as to suggest that it was really just a "tired tourist" taking a nap. Does this mean that when I lose my job and can't pay the rent that I must exchange my nice clothes for rags so I can qualify to be "homeless"? I'll bet half those that made such comments are 3-4 paychecks away from fighting that man for that bench. People are stupid and quite ignorant. I'm ashamed to be an American at times.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
They even went as far as to suggest that it was really just a "tired tourist" taking a nap. Does this mean that when I lose my job and can't pay the rent that I must exchange my nice clothes for rags so I can qualify to be "homeless"?
Bob, it seems that the internet is a double edged tool, on the one hand it allows you and I to comminicate, on the other it allows people to express views that normally they never would face to face.

The reasons for being homeless are many, almost every person on the streets has a different story, and as mentioned above some of those people seem to find it preferable to being tied to one place, personally I don't think many are like that so the main problem is what can be done to prevent those who want a home from becomming homeless.

I could give you a long list of things, most of which have been tried and unfortunately not worked. I don't have an answer.

When you go back on that photographic forum try to just 'skip' over the posts from the muppets and just read theones which make sense That's what I do, I'm too old to bother with numpties who should know better

While I'm typing, can I ask if you've started a thread of your holiday yet?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Bob, it's not just Americans who make stupid remarks; ignorance and bigotry know no borders. As Losos said, ignore them and concentrate on the positive ones.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

08-08-2011, 10:21 PM

I've burned the bridges behind me on that site, trying to get banned so the email will stop coming. I just spent two glorious weeks with young people from 8 different countries and everyone got along marvelously. I'm ashamed to be an American at times and can understand the animosity of other countries toward the U.S.. I fought four years in the USAF for my country in Vietnam. There were no yellow roses or ribbons tied on trees when I return home. Instead, I was spat on and called a "baby killer". I have no respect left for my country on countrymen. You'd think we would have learned something from Vietnam but instead have gotten ourselves $14 trillion dollars in debt, mostly to China, a communist country. What has gone wrong with the United States? Have we gone madd?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Take it easy Bob, nothing is worth getting all tense and upset about.

It's midnight here and well past my bedtime so I have to go now, have a cyber beer on me and relax and enjoy the rest of your day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top