Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Foreign Visitors

I've just returned from a 12 day visit to 5 American National Parks. Being my first visit to these parks it quickly became obvious that those sharing the experience with me were mostly from far away lands. On my tour bus of 37 people we had folks from Japan, China, Holland, Australia, England, France, Germany & the United States. Once in the parks an even bigger mix of the world was evident, with whole families from abroad enjoying the beautiful scenery.

It's remarkable how well everybody got along. People were courteous and helpful as conditions were often crowded and congested as thousands hiked and viewed our scenic wonders.

I will always remember sharing a dining car on my train ride back home with a lovely couple from Switzerland. We exchanged contact information after breakfast.

Australia, France, United States, China, Germany

Japan - "Nanako"

Japan "Nanako", France "Sandrine", Australia

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Re: Foreign Visitors

Looks like you met some interesting and friendly people Bob

I am enjoying your photographs although I may not get time to respond to them all
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Wow Bob, that's a lot of languages to learn in two weeks, good on yer mate .
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Wow Bob, that's a lot of languages to learn in two weeks, good on yer mate .
Most of those young people spoke excellent English. The weakest was Nanako from Japan. She made up for her lack of English with the "cute" factor. LOL
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 03:04 PM

You have captured some lovely of the moment shots Bob. Great to see the young enjoying the great outdoors.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 03:36 PM

What an experience of a lifetime Bob! Hard to believe how much you have squashed into two weeks. I looked through your album yesterday and did wonder about some of your group, especially the very pretty Nanako. Glad you're going to keep in touch with a couple of them.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for sharing those! Makes me feel some of the pleasure you must have had.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
What an experience of a lifetime Bob! Hard to believe how much you have squashed into two weeks. I looked through your album yesterday and did wonder about some of your group, especially the very pretty Nanako. Glad you're going to keep in touch with a couple of them.
I haven't heard from anyone yet but they are all still traveling.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Another great set of pics Bob...am enjoying sharing your trip with you...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Quoting Bob: - "I've just returned from a 12 day visit to 5 American National Parks. Being my first visit to these parks it quickly became obvious that those sharing the experience with me were mostly from far away lands. On my tour bus of 37 people we had folks from Japan, China, Holland, Australia, England, France, Germany & the United States. Once in the parks an even bigger mix of the world was evident, with whole families from abroad enjoying the beautiful scenery.
It's remarkable how well everybody got along. People were courteous and helpful as conditions were often crowded and congested as thousands hiked and viewed our scenic wonders.
"
I did some work on a pipeline down near Khorammshahr and there was a huge construction camp about halfway between Ahwaz and Abadan. We were invited there on a Friday once and there were so many nationalities there it was astounding and everyone got along very well.
We had people from nearly all of the Northern European countries, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, China, Philippines, Japan, Russia, several Arab Nations, Iranians of course, and Israelis!!
There was a massive barbecue catering for all tastes and a big central bonfire that everyone congregated around as the evening drew in and it wasn't long before music was being played and people were dancing.
There were of course no women on this camp so it was all men dancing together around the camp fire. It became a huge circle dancing around to all sorts of music from all sorts of countries and at one point I had Israelis on one side of me and Iranians and Arabs on the other, all laughing and dancing - together.
That one incident convinced me that it's not people that cause rifts or wars, it's greed, religious differences and most of all, POLITICS!!
Pity they can't have a huge barbecue out in the remote desert and invite the world's leaders for a shindig. You never know!! stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top