Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Ouch

I was up the Hill with the Dogs 2 Evenings ago, I was wearing those cut off jeans that end at the calf, when I got home i was feeling very uncomfortable just above my ankle. By yesterday morning it was all red and itchy. Through the day it really annoyed me and by 7pm last evening I had 2 big Blisters and since they burst they've been leaking. I hardly slept last night with the pain, and this morning it's throbbing like mad and my foot and ankle are twice their size..........Any idea what could have bitten me. And no Uncle Joe it wasn't a Haggis.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Re: Ouch

If it was over here I could maybe help, but didn't realise that anything in the UK could do that sort of thing.

I have had something like that twice, once in the Dominican Republic and over here when I was bitten by a Jumping Spider, but I don't think you have any of those in the UK.

Here we would rub Aloe Vera on it, but we have loads of plant in the garden and just tear off a frond and rub it on neat.

Have a speedy recovery< I know how it feels, and it ain't nice.........
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Could be the same insects that have occasionally bitten me when walking in the countryside.They are a large brown flies I know them as horseflies but I think another name is cleggflies. Disgustingly filthy insects that cause nasty reactions. One incident I was bitten on the hand and I had to have a tetanus jab with antibiotics because blood poisoning had traveled up my arm from the bite on my hand that had swollen to twice the size.Your symptoms sound like you may need some treatment. If it worsens call your doctors.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
Could be the same insects that have occasionally bitten me when walking in the countryside.They are a large brown flies I know them as horseflies but I think another name is cleggflies. Disgustingly filthy insects that cause nasty reactions. One incident I was bitten on the hand and I had to have a tetanus jab with antibiotics because blood poisoning had traveled up my arm from the bite on my hand that had swollen to twice the size.Your symptoms sound like you may need some treatment. If it worsens call your doctors.
Ruben around here they are called 'old maids' and they do give a nasty bite.

Roxy it could be the above or a number of things.There is one type of midge which causes this reaction, I had it a few years ago as did my sister. I was bitten on the leg and had horrible blisters full of yellow fluid and a wound about an inch and a half across.
I still have nasty red marks on my legs from the bites.

I keep piriton in the house these days and take it as soon as I am bitten.

Midges, mosquitoes and gnats
Bites from midges, mosquitoes and gnats often cause small papules (lumps) to form on your skin that are usually very itchy. If you are particularly sensitive to insect bites, you may develop:
bullae (fluid-filled blisters)
weals (circular, fluid-filled areas surrounding the bite)
Taken from here..
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-i.../Symptoms.aspx
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Meg that describes it exatly. Going to ask the Chemist about this "Piriton" you mentioned. The only thing that helps stop the pain at the moment is cold. I've had a couple of Ice Cubes in a flannel on it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Meg that describes it exatly. Going to ask the Chemist about this "Piriton" you mentioned. The only thing that helps stop the pain at the moment is cold. I've had a couple of Ice Cubes in a flannel on it.
Roxy ice it good but best left on for only a couple of moments at a time. I use frozen peas in a tea towel

Piriton (or one of the cheaper generic equivalents) needs to be taken the moment you are bitten and it reduces the reaction to a small bite
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Roxy darlin' it could also be poison ivy or any number of plants that you have unfortunately brushed against which has given you an allergic reaction.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

03-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Ended up at the Doctor...was near crazy with it. I've now got a big dose of Antibiotics, to take 4 times a day and a cream. What's worse is...I've to go back in 2 Days and if it's no better I'm in Hospital to get antibiotics through a drip I'ts a bite alright and it's infected.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Sorry to hear this Roxy. Good job you got yourself checked out, and hope the antibiotics/cream work quickly so you don't need the hospital treatment.

I remember being bitten by a horsefly-nasty little critters. My arm swelled up, and luckily, unlike you, I didn't need antibiotics. Hope all goes well-take care.....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 10:19 PM

Well, good that you have a diagnosis and are on ABs; hope they start working and you get some relief and avoid hospitalization. (((hugs)))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top