Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Have They Nothing Between the Ears.

A man has been rescued from a ravine after breaking his ankles "tombstoning" off a bridge in Inverness-shire.

The ambulance service called coastguard teams to River Glascarnoch, near Garve, at 18:00 on Saturday and the Stornoway coastguard helicopter was scrambled.

Officers scaled the ravine and the man, who was in his early twenties, was floated down the river on a spinal board placed on a flat-based dinghy.

He was then taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness by air ambulance.

Aberdeen Coastguard watch manager Kevin Brown said: "Jumping from bridges, piers, cliffs or other structures into water can be very dangerous.

"You do not know what lurks under the surface and the depth of tidal waters changes considerably.

"In the past six years there have been 16 deaths and 50 serious injuries caused by tombstoning."

Northern Constabulary warned of the dangers of the deadly tombstoning craze, where a person jumps from a height into water.

A spokesman said: "Jumping or diving into open water is extremely dangerous as water depths can vary and can often be shallower than anticipated.

"There may also be submerged rocks that may not be visible and the impact of cold water and strong currents may make swimming very difficult."
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Re: Have They Nothing Between the Ears.

What ever happened to good old fashioned common sense? What an idiot; he's done himself injury and the taxpayers are left with the expense for the ambulance, coast guard and helicopter. Not being a young male with too much testosterone I can't imagine the mind set that would make him do something so dangerous and just plain stupid!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 04:54 PM

I guess it is the modern equivalent of 'playing chicken' and they do it for the adrenalin rush . I would be sick with worry if a member of my family was taking part in this kind of thing...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 05:54 PM

I once jumped off some scaffolding into a pile of sand to win a meat pie..

Excuses: I was only sixteen, and the pie really was delicious..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I once jumped off some scaffolding into a pile of sand to win a meat pie..

Excuses: I was only sixteen, and the pie really was delicious..
Barry you noodle I don't think that is quite in the same league as tombstoning..
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 07:08 PM

We used to swim in the canal and some tough nuts would jump off the bridge (about 20 feet above the water), there were some who got deep nasty cuts on their feet from the metal junk on the bottom and carted off to hospital. I was glad I was too chicken to have a go.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 07:24 PM

It happens around here. There is a popular spot where the general assorted idiot thinks its really clever to jump off a quayside into potentially shallow water.

There was a recent case where one particular idiot decided to tomestone into water and mistimed it and ended jumping about 20' into only 3' of water. He smashed his spine and will never walk again, resulting in 24hr care. Now makes videos to stop people repeating it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
It happens around here. There is a popular spot where the general assorted idiot thinks its really clever to jump off a quayside into potentially shallow water.

There was a recent case where one particular idiot decided to tomestone into water and mistimed it and ended jumping about 20' into only 3' of water. He smashed his spine and will never walk again, resulting in 24hr care. Now makes videos to stop people repeating it.
Yeah Graham matey, we had one here too only a few weeks ago - jumped off Brighton Pier, broke his neck and is now paraylsed - silly sod!!!!
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 09:51 AM

O wad some pow'r the giftie gie us/ to see oursels as others see us/ it wad frae mony a blunder free us/ and foolish notion.

Robert Burns.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 10:32 AM

and on it goes usually the young seeking an adrenal rush at the same time as impressing mates when believing that accidents only happen to other people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top