Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 03:39 AM

Awake at a Stupid Time.

Hi

The problems of living in a Town.

The sirens on a still night.

Half a mile way from a four way junction to one side, a little less to the Roundabout on the Bypass.

All the Emergency Services put the sirens on at these two places.

I have still not adjusted to this.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Re: Awake at a Stupid Time.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The problems of living in a Town.

The sirens on a still night.

Half a mile way from a four way junction to one side, a little less to the Roundabout on the Bypass.

All the Emergency Services put the sirens on at these two places.

I have still not adjusted to this.

Give it time - you will eventually adjust to it - at the bottom of the hill (approx 1/2 mile away) from me is the main Fire Station - sirens go all day and every day, but now they are part of the background and I no longer pay heed to them.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 09:26 AM

I do get outside noise during the night, sirens etc plus the occasional drunk staggering home (they usually fall in my hedge ) but it's noises indoors that keep me awake. Noises like air in me pipes, the dog moving around downstairs, the tank filling up in the loft. I find earplugs work well.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Perhaps it's time to get triple glazing for your windows swims? (and ear plugs)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

Mind you Carol, even with triple glazing, that still means you couldn't have your windows open on summer nights.

I think, as you say, ear plugs are the only solution - or move house.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
...and a moat
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:50 PM

It's so quiet at night where I live one could hear a pin drop.
The lamppost lights go out at midnight here. That with the silence, if one walked outside, it would be hard to find your bearings. The only sound might be the occasional owl.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
It's so quiet at night where I live one could hear a pin drop.
The lamppost lights go out at midnight here. That with the silence, if one walked outside, it would be hard to find your bearings. The only sound might be the occasional owl.

Oh I wish I could listen to that silence SG , I long for peace and silence and star lit skies with no light pollution. I'm beside a busy road and 1/4 mile away a busy dual carriageway, the cars and sirens are so noisy at times . Worse in the front bedroom when friends come to stay . Ear plugs can be difficult to wear all night
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mind you Carol, even with triple glazing, that still means you couldn't have your windows open on summer nights.

I think, as you say, ear plugs are the only solution - or move house.
We live on a main road and never have the bedroom windows open at night - not even in summer - the noise is worse than the heat.

What we do is leave the bedroom door open and all the windows at the back of the house. This way we still get a bit of fresh air. Also we have a fan on all night.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2019, 09:42 AM

We were raised in a house adjacent to a factory that worked 24 hours a day, and within 100 yards of railway sidings that shunted coal wagons at all hours. When we eventually moved when I was twelve non of us could sleep for the deafening silence....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top