Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Perpetual calendar

I bought this on my second trip to the USA in 2004. I don't know what powers it but every month it automatically changes to the correct days and month.
It even shows family birthdays and stuff like that on the correct day.
How on earth does it know?

My Lovely Cousin is a fan of Thomas Kinkade so I nearly bought one of his, but I prefer this. In any case, this one was over a hundred dollars cheaper so there was really no contest.

Some of the spare tiles.

Plates of the months

Everything was double wrapped in tissue paper and spare hotel bog roll then packed in individual polystyrene boxes, then wrapped in clothes in my suitcase. Thankfully there was not a single breakage.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Re: Perpetual calendar

Lovely Fruitcake!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:41 PM

I hand crafted an Excel file that does exactly the same thing. It is purely manual, you have to select the month and the year from drop down lists but otherwise it works well.

Not quite as elegant as yours though, perhaps more functional because you can add entries and print it out.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.02.01_22h37m58s_001_Monthly Calendar1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	8608  
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I hand crafted an Excel file that does exactly the same thing. It is purely manual, you have to select the month and the year from drop down lists but otherwise it works well.

Not quite as elegant as yours though, perhaps more functional because you can add entries and print it out.

Can you eat off the printouts?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 07:22 PM

You say you don't know what powers it.

Is there some sort of winder somewhere?

After all, unlike a clock which is going all the time, this calendar only needs to have bits move once a day, so one wind might last quite a while.

How do the month plaques change, or do you have to do that manually?

I love things made of clockwork, so I am intrigued!
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Yes same here- there must be something powering it- wondering about it keeping time/date?
Yes quite a curious puzzle -Tell us more about it.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 09:18 PM

It's wonderful. I love all the Thomas Kinkade paintings too. I have heaps of his art as Jigsaws.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Can you eat off the printouts?
I have a laminator so I guess you can.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
You say you don't know what powers it.

Is there some sort of winder somewhere?

After all, unlike a clock which is going all the time, this calendar only needs to have bits move once a day, so one wind might last quite a while.

How do the month plaques change, or do you have to do that manually?

I love things made of clockwork, so I am intrigued!
Originally Posted by toners ->
Yes same here- there must be something powering it- wondering about it keeping time/date?
Yes quite a curious puzzle -Tell us more about it.
I've never seen one before but an internet trawl has failed to reveal any mechanism behind the calendar - in fact, the opposite .....

Such calendars seem to be American in origin (perhaps from Victorian times?). The plates and tiles are adjusted manually, like the hymn numbers display in a church:

They seem to retail for less than $100 dollars.

Here's another form of "perpetual calendar":

It's an original 1900 model and costs about £500 .....

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 06:35 AM

Yes, I too, did a Google trawl and have come to the conclusion that Fruitcake is being tongue in cheek.

I think the 'mechanism' is probably the 'lovely cousin'!

However, there are some truly wonderful types of clockwork things out there, so it's about time a clockwork perpetual calendar WERE built!

Naughty Fruitcake!

Still, it made me research Terry Redlin, and I had never heard of him before!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top