Join for free
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Energy Price fixing!

I have spent some considerable time on the so-called comparision websites today.

Some suppliers even claim to save me £148 when in fact thay are costing me more!

One trick they are ALL getting in on is raising the Standard charges.
They give a small discount on the fuel cost then get nearly all of it back on the extra they charge for the standing charge.

Nearly all charge the same rates for the gas and electricity, it is only the dual fuel, and payment method discounts taht separate one price from another.

They increase gas prices by 18% when wholesale prices are still not even at 2008 levels.

If this isnt a European Cartel I dont know what is!

It is high time OFGEM did what is was set up to do a regulate this industry and protect us all from getting ripped off year after year.

All I could "save" today was just £100 a year. Tomorrow new prices rises could wipe that out!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Re: Energy Price fixing!

I always think its a waste of time switching from one to the the other, because lets face it, they're all presumably paying the same wholesale price as each other. The supermarkets play the same trick with loss leader promotions, but in reality its a cartel between them as usual. Maybe I'm cynical, but after 67years of being on this earth,one thing is for sure, they can fool the people some of the time, but not all of it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 08:21 AM

If Maggie Thatcher (Phth, phth,phth) hadn't privatised and then sold off our utility companies we wouldn't be in this mess!!! Tell Sid to sod off, and renationalise all of them, WITHOUT compensation!!!
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 12:40 PM

I have complained to Ofgem about the lack of proper competition.
Everyone on here should do the same!

Us Brits are being ripped off!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
If Maggie Thatcher (Phth, phth,phth) hadn't privatised and then sold off our utility companies we wouldn't be in this mess!!! Tell Sid to sod off, and renationalise all of them, WITHOUT compensation!!!
It is easy to keep on blaming Thatcher, the Labour party had years to re-nationalise but they didn't, why?

Perhaps it is more pertinent to ask, If the Labour Government hadn't spent and wasted so much money whilst they were in control the amount saved could have cut energy our bills by a considerable amount.

In short, Bliar and Brown were a tragic double act reminiscent of Nervo and Knox.
( One only has to see the ramifications of the 1998 Human Rights Act alone as evidence, which in itself is costing millions.)
One is a war criminal and the other incompetent.
Neither Labour or the Unions are offering anything as an alternative to the necessary cuts that are having to be made.
The Ed Balls mantra that it is too far too fast simply means he and they would do nothing at all, impressive.

Rather heart warming to know that BLiar was a millionaire when he came to office and a multi-millionaire by the time he left.

Grumpy about that lot, you betcha.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 08:27 PM

I expect you Political Cats will grumble at me but ......I don't think we really have a Labour Party any more. When Blair took over and things were called New Labour it all changed. A lot of people up here felt they were just the Tories in discuise. Me personally, I think the whole lot of them are a bunch of lying Scunners, and I never believe a word any of them say. All I know for sure is....If I did half the things they do, I'd have been jailed ages ago.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Hi Elbee , I am in the process of changing suppliers at the moment. I won't use the comparison sites which advertise, I use the independent 'Energy Watch' and 'Which' consumer association sites.

Whether or not I actually save any money remains to be seen I have moved from Scottish Power because they were the first to put the prices up and on paper I appear to be paying less per kilowatt hour with the new supplier and my deal is frozen for a year .

The whole having a choice of suppliers is a farce, the utilities should be none profit making national organisations.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Elbee , I am in the process of changing suppliers at the moment. I won't use the comparison sites which advertise, I use the independent 'Energy Watch' and 'Which' consumer association sites.

Whether or not I actually save any money remains to be seen I have moved from Scottish Power because they were the first to put the prices up and on paper I appear to be paying less per kilowatt hour with the new supplier and my deal is frozen for a year .

The whole having a choice of suppliers is a farce, the utilities should be none profit making national organisations.
Precisely my point Meg darlin' - see above, - we should re-nationalise the utility companies (including BT) WITHOUT COMPENSATION!!!
Johnny
London
Johnny is male  Johnny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 12:10 PM

I must agree with Uncle Joe. All essential utilities should be taken out of the hands of the speculators and run solely for the benefit of the population at large. Any profits then being reinvested into the infrastructure and maybe job creation, instead of simply making the rich richer.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top