Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Quizz Friday

Good morning everyone

The rain yesterday did mother nature a world of good, the fields are looking greener the wild flowers are in full bloom and growing taller plus the air feels cleaner. 14 degrees with a slight sea breeze made our morning walk very pleasureable with the sound of different birds, the Peacock being the loudest, helping to liven the day.

Plans for today study cleaning, its Friday, lunch at some local and an afternoon of ralaxation exercises with friends before a quizz evening testing the little grey cells.

Have a great day and take care.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Re: Quizz Friday

Still have bruising coming out 5 days after my fall, feeling a bit rough, and fed up with having to take pain relief.

Was hoping to get back out on the bike this weekend, but think must be sensible and give myself a bit more recovery time.

Which is what I shall be doing today, almost nothing, just resting and feeling generally sorry for myself.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Good morning all, only 13 ͦ c today so far. Off out for coffee soon.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Rocky, cosset yourself.. Cracked ribs are *@#%!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Good morning all, dull with light showers over here today. I'm free today so I'll head up to the local at lunchtime and join the other idle shower of oldies for a bit of craic.
AB, my Grandmother always used to say that a Peacock was a very unlucky bird, never told me the reason though.
Everybody have a good time today whatever you're doing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 12:10 PM

A belated good morning everyone I decided to go and get the shopping out of the way and need to do some cooking for a family lunch tomorrow.

Rain at last but not much of it, just fine drizzle , good for the grass but not much else. Much cooler too.

Have a good day everyone.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Afternoon everyone, it rained here overnight and it's gloomy with a blanket of cloud now.

Nothing much planned for today other than normal chores.

AB - hope you do well at the quiz tonight. Do you have peacocks roaming wild in your area or are they in a sanctuary/zoo?

RR - I do hope your pain eases soon, pity you haven't a NHS scheme there as I really think you need some prescription painkillers to alleviate your discomfort

NG - hope you enjoyed your coffee

Jem
- I didn't realise a peacock is an unlucky bird
so I just googled it:

It is thought very unlucky to have the feathers of a Peacock within the home or handle anything made with them. This is possibly because of the eye shape present upon these feathers i.e. the Evil-Eye associated with wickedness.

I have a tall vase with a few peacock feathers in! Maybe I should get rid of them quickly!

Meg - hope you enjoy your cooking and family lunch tomorrow

Have a good day everyone!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Mags, the Peacocks belong to the Farmer who has reared them from chicks. The female had her first brood of eggs but unfortunately they did not hatch out, better luck next time the farmer hopes.

Jemflux, the story about Peacocks changes wherever you are in the world.

Zeus fell in love with Io and seduced her. To try to keep Hera from noticing he covered the world with a thick blanket of clouds. This backfired, arousing Hera's suspicions. She came down from Mount Olympus and begain dispersing the clouds. Zeus did some quick thinking and changed Io's form from being a lovely maiden. So as the clouds dispersed Hera found Zeus standing next to a white heifer. He then swore that he had never seen the cow before, it had just sprang right out of the earth. Seeing right through this Hera complimented the cow and asked to have it as a present. As turning such a reasonable request down would have given the whole thing away, Zeus presented her with the cow.

She sent the cow away and arranged Arges to watch over it. Since Arges had a hundred eyes and could have some of them sleep while others were awake he made a fine watchman. Desperate, Zeus sent Hermes to fetch Io. Disgused as a shepard, Hermes had to employ all his skill as a musician and story teller to gain Arges confidence and lull him to sleep. Once asleep Hermes killed Arges. As a memorial, Hera took his eyes and set them into the tail of her favorite bird, the peacock."

"Though considered lucky, because its multiplicity of “eyes” was said to alert it to approaching evil, in India, and held in esteem in China and Japan, where peacocks are kept as symbols of status and wealth by the ruling families, the peacock receives only scorn from the rest of the world. The peacock’s feathers were considered the most unlucky part of the bird, because they end in round, brightly-colored shapes that look much like eyes, which some call “evil eyes.”"

"Chinese mythology states that the peacock’s plumage is a blending of five colors that create the sweet harmony of sound. In Egypt the bird was linked to the worship of the sun god, Amon-Ra and associated with the all-seeing eye of Horus. To the Hindus, the peacock was associated with Hindra, the god of thunder who became a peacock endowed with one hundred eyes that enabled him to watch out for the demon Ravana. Christianity assigns the peacock as a symbol of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ."
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Thank you Mags and AB for enlightening me.
When the Peacock bird is mentioned I think of the time in Grandmothers house when her birthday was approaching and I suggested I would make her a silver and marcasite brooch of a Peacock for her present, she nearly hit the roof!. In the end she settled for a butterfly. Funny how things stick in your head after all those years.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks for that interesting story of the peacock, AB....I haven't heard that before. I always think the peacock looks very regal, it will continue to be one of my favourite birds but I think I will refrain from collecting its feathers from now on!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi all. Sunny here and going to be very hot again; at about 10:30 am it's already 31 C (87 F); will probably make 100 F. And the water is off in my building, broken pipe! Plumbers supposedly in the way; hope they fix it soon, I need water to make soup at lunch! All quiet as usual, no news.

How interesting about the peacocks; I knew about the feathers being unlucky but not why! Learned something today.

Rockrider, just take it easy while your body starts repairing itself; a cracked rib is horrible, I had one and it was very painful!

Hope it's a pleasant day for all!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top