Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Jinked or Poor workmanship!!!

I must be jinked since I retired because I have bought lots of new items which have gone faulty and had to be exchanged, either that or manufacturing has no pride left as the quality is what it used to be.

Are you jinked or do you never have any faulty goods.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 08:21 AM

Re: Jinked or Poor workmanship!!!

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I must be jinked since I retired because I have bought lots of new items which have gone faulty and had to be exchanged, either that or manufacturing has no pride left as the quality is what it used to be.

Are you jinked or do you never have any faulty goods.
Here seems even worse than the UK, even branded goods don't seem to last as long here as they did in the UK.
Added to this you won't find the words 'Customer Service' in the Spanish vocabulary. Only at the big stores will they exchange anything, even then it's a real trial. In the small shops the guarantee is with the manufacturer, so they will send it away either for replacement or repair (yes even a brand new item).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 10:06 AM

AB I have been having the same problem, nothing is 'quality build' these days or intended to last.

My AEG cooker now 17 years old needs a couple of new elements on the ceramic top and the cost of obtaining the parts and replacing them is high with no guarantee something else won't need replacing soon. So I went to look at new cookers and was shocked at the build quality. When I mentioned this to the salesman they said things weren't supposed to last 16 years . Many of the old reliable companies like AEG have been taken over by others who produce inferior quality goods. I still have the old cooker.

Many small applicable toasters/irons etc seem to pack up the moment the warranty expires I wonder sometimes if they have an 'give up after 12 months 'chip inside.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 10:36 AM

I think I have been lucky on the faulty goods front. Now that I have said that I hope I have not jinxed myself.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Meg, my fairly new toaster, about a year, has just conked out! The former one had belonged to my parents (!), and I only replaced it because it was so old and worn looking. But it was still toasting after 50+ years; they don't make 'em the way they used to here in the States either. I find an electric kettle dies after about a year to 18 months too .....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 04:18 PM

You will not believe it but the Sat Nav that I bought yesterday has packed up.
I was updating it before I gave it to my daughter and it stopped the update with, 'error, please contact customer support'. Needless to say it is on its way back tomorrow.

Electrical equipment used to be made to last 25 yrs and then reduced to 15 yrs, then to 8 yrs, now it is 5 yrs.

We are being conned people.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Meg, my fairly new toaster, about a year, has just conked out! The former one had belonged to my parents (!), and I only replaced it because it was so old and worn looking. But it was still toasting after 50+ years; they don't make 'em the way they used to here in the States either. I find an electric kettle dies after about a year to 18 months too .....
It's so annoying isn't it, I recently bought a new toaster to replace one which only lasted a year. I had the one before that for over 30 years. My last two 'jug kettles' which replaced the ancient metal one have both leaked.

The other annoying thing is getting things repaired, the cost of doing this often exceeds the cost of buying a new item. Years ago there was always a local man who would repair things for next to nothing.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Exactly, Meg; one always had the local handyperson fix whatever it was; now you can't find any one who does repair, and if they did the cost would be near or more than the replacement cost.

Do not get me started on hot water bottles!

Built-in obsolescence ...........
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Everyone - take heed of the "Sale of Goods Act" - if its 'not fit for purpose' take it back to the retailer. Don't be fobbed off with the retailer saying it needs to sorted out with the manufacturer - your contract is with the retailer and they ought to repair or replace it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm on my fourth washing machine in approx 40 years, admittedly the first one was a twin tub which I replaced for an automatic still in good condition. The last time I had to call out the engineer to my machine, he told me that washing machines these days were built to last approximately 5 years! What a con! can't they make things these days to last longer as they used to

Anyway, my current machine is now in it's 10th year ....... I just hope I haven't put a jinx on it by saying that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top