Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Overspill of Christmas Gifts.

Well I did it! As usual, with having a huge family all living locally, the bottom of our Christmas Tree invariably ends up laden with loads of Christmas presents from siblings and families/sons and families. Bless all the children, they all think with the same mindset. BuySis/ Nan/Auntie boxes of chocolates or any Royal Jelly products, all of which I am extremely appreciative and count my blessings.

However..... when I end up with more than 16 large boxes of chocolates and enough bottles and tubs of Royal Jelly to last way after my demise.... after removing the tree and looking at the large carrier bags of these gifts, I thought, this is ridiculous! I don't particularly even like chocolates in a box. except perhaps the odd box of After Eight Mints as they remind me of my favourite childhood chocolate bar, Fry's Chocolate Creme.

So I decided this year to recycle them all. Must admit, I ended up throwing half of last years chocs in the bin as they ran out of the sell-buy date so was determined this was not going to happen ever again. I admit I did have real pangs of guilt knowing the children (or parents) spent money buying me these gifts, but again I was determined to give them to where they would be more appreciated.

I spent a good portion of yesterday wrapping several of them and sticking a "Wishing you a very happy New Year" tag on them. I gave some of the chocs to my elderly neighbours, (what am I??) left one for the INR Nurses at the medical centre, and everything else I left unwrapped and he who must obey popped them into the local foodbank to be distributed to whomever they think deserving of them.

Hey presto, problem solved! I'm now feeling very happy that some people will be pleased to get a little extra, and perhaps bring a smile to others who have a really tough life.

What do you do with not so much unwanted Christmas gifts, more a case of unneeded Christmas gifts?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Re: Overspill of Christmas Gifts.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well I did it! As usual, with having a huge family all living locally, the bottom of our Christmas Tree invariably ends up laden with loads of Christmas presents from siblings and families/sons and families. Bless all the children, they all think with the same mindset. Buy Nan/Auntie boxes of chocolates or any Royal Jelly products, all of which I am extremely appreciative and count my blessings.

However..... when I end up with more than 16 large boxes of chocolates and enough bottles and tubs of Royal Jelly to last way after my demise.... after removing the tree and looking at the large carrier bags of these gifts, I thought, this is ridiculous! I don't particularly even like chocolates in a box. except perhaps the odd box of After Eight Mints as they remind me of my favourite childhood chocolate bar, Fry's Chocolate Creme.

So I decided this year to recycle them all. Must admit, I ended up throwing half of last years chocs in the bin as they ran out of the sell-buy date so was determined this was not going to happen ever again. I admit I did have real pangs of guilt knowing the children (or parents) spent money buying me these gifts, but again I was determined to give them to where they would be more appreciated.

I spent a good portion of yesterday wrapping several of them and sticking a "Wishing you a very happy New Year" tag on them. I gave some of the chocs to my elderly neighbours, (what am I??) left one for the INR Nurses at the medical centre, and everything else I left unwrapped and he who must obey popped them into the local foodbank to be distributed to whomever they think deserving of them.

Hey presto, problem solved! I'm now feeling very happy that some people will be pleased to get a little extra, and perhaps bring a smile to others who have a really tough life.

What do you do with not so much unwanted Christmas gifts, more a case of unneeded Christmas gifts?
Well put it this way Shrops. I had no chocolate left over.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well put it this way Shrops. I had no chocolate left over.
Your as bad as HWMO Longdogs. I was missing 2 x Terry's Chocolate Orange boxes that I know one of the grandchildren gave me. I now know they both disappeared down his throat!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 12:59 PM

I received a tin of Quality Street, a tin of Celebrations, and three boxes of chocolate and plain biscuits this year. No way would I be able to eat those, so last week I took them to Sainsbury's to add to their Food Bank.

Temptation gone!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:26 PM

I am eating or have already eaten the chocs & biscuits I was given. I really didn't have that many.
As to unwanted gifts. I either sell those, depending on what they are, or give them to a charity shop.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

06-01-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I received a tin of Quality Street, a tin of Celebrations, and three boxes of chocolate and plain biscuits this year. No way would I be able to eat those, so last week I took them to Sainsbury's to add to their Food Bank.

Temptation gone!
Well done Mags! Five happy recipients.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

06-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am eating or have already eaten the chocs & biscuits I was given. I really didn't have that many.
As to unwanted gifts. I either sell those, depending on what they are, or give them to a charity shop.

That's still nice Tiffany, and any that the charity shops receive I'm sure will help.

I'm going to do the same every year I am still around from now on. When I threw out seven large boxes of chocolates with sell by dates passed last year, I was so ashamed of myself when I think of the people that would have loved to have received the same as a gift. That was what spurred me on this year. I will never let it happen again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:41 PM

Food bank get anything we don't eat, kitchen sink takes the alcohol away glug glug down the drain. Such a waste but can't really give it away.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
That's still nice Tiffany, and any that the charity shops receive I'm sure will help.

I'm going to do the same every year I am still around from now on. When I threw out seven large boxes of chocolates with sell by dates passed last year, I was so ashamed of myself when I think of the people that would have loved to have received the same as a gift. That was what spurred me on this year. I will never let it happen again.
I get given a lot of smellies which I can't use due to a skin condition. I have told people I can't use them, but still they send them. Most go to charity or I give the gift boxes to friends who can use them.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

06-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I get given a lot of smellies which I can't use due to a skin condition. I have told people I can't use them, but still they send them. Most go to charity or I give the gift boxes to friends who can use them.
Good for you Tiffany, I used to shove smellies in the bathroom cupboard bottom drawer unopened. In the end, I used to bin them when having a clear out to make room for even more!
I could kick myself now for all the nice things that I have wasted when they could have been appreciated by others.
Never mind, at least I'm now joining all of you in recycling instead of throwing things away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top