Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Are Young Children More "High Maintenance" These Days?

They are, aren't they?

Both my daughters (with children of 7 months and 19 months) have complained to my wife because she didn't warn them it would be such a gruelling, unremitting slog. But we don't remember it being such a big deal at all, without the endless interaction required of theirs.

After an hour or two in the presence of the 19 months old, I pity my daughter and her life of drudgery.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Re: Are Young Children More "High Maintenance" These Days?

What did they expect parenthood to be like?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:30 PM

It’s a good thing your daughters didn’t have premature twins, Gravitas. . That was hard work with them being on three hourly feeds through day and night, and washing, yes washing, a dozen or more terry nappies a day. But we never complained, we were prepared for the hard work ahead and enjoyed the babies.

Some mothers today have all the mod cons - automatic w/machines, tumble dryers, disposable nappies .... and more, yet still complain.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
What did they expect parenthood to be like?
Not quite so much of a tedious slog - I think. As I tried to point out, what their mother told them it was like for her, was far different from their experience.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:56 PM

I don't think babies have changed - but I think perhaps mothers have.

Being a hands-on mom (as opposed to daycare) isn't any more high maintenance than it ever was. Babies and toddlers are needy by nature, but the rewards of giving them a great start in life are immeasurable.

Having babies is messy, chaotic, unnerving, exhausting - but it's also joyful, fascinating, funny, and indescribably fulfilling.

I had twins too, so I know the double trouble, but that intensely demanding time goes by so fast. In no time you are having dinner with these remarkable young adults and feeling sentimental about those early days together.

The days last forever, but the years speed by so quickly. I hope your girls are soaking up every precious moment and just venting to mom and dad .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I don't think babies have changed - but I think perhaps mothers have.

Being a hands-on mom (as opposed to daycare) isn't any more high maintenance than it ever was. Babies and toddlers are needy by nature, but the rewards of giving them a great start in life are immeasurable.

Having babies is messy, chaotic, unnerving, exhausting - but it's also joyful, fascinating, funny, and indescribably fulfilling.

I had twins too, so I know the double trouble, but that intensely demanding time goes by so fast. In no time you are having dinner with these remarkable young adults and feeling sentimental about those early days together.

The days last forever, but the years speed by so quickly. I hope your girls are soaking up every precious moment and just venting to mom and dad .
Hi

What a lovely post.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 07:28 PM

It was indeed
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 08:49 PM

Parenthood is what you make it , I have 5 grandchildren under the age of 9 (2 sets of twins) and they don't seem 'high maintenance' at all

The house is a bit chaotic but everyone is happy ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 09:46 PM

I think parents may be the ones that have changed and making all mothers go out to work doesn't help that problem. Parents also have much higher ideals of how life will be I believe, if you set yourself too high a target it will be a slog to get to it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
They are, aren't they?

Both my daughters (with children of 7 months and 19 months) have complained to my wife because she didn't warn them it would be such a gruelling, unremitting slog. But we don't remember it being such a big deal at all, without the endless interaction required of theirs.

After an hour or two in the presence of the 19 months old, I pity my daughter and her life of drudgery.
Welcome to the world of babies !
They are hyper active demanding and needy .
The good news is you can send them to playschool at three and have a few hours peace .
The other thing is it's such a tiny period of time in their lives and may never come again .
Make the most of it !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top