Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Surplus to Requirements

Many of us receive unsuitable Christmas presents annually.

What's the best way to deal with them?
Chocolates and Biscuits have a sell-by date on from 3 months to one year so would not keep for next Christmas.

Fashion garment may be passed on, but a receipt would be needed in case of changing them or a refund.
Or simply give them all to Charity.

OF course, you would need to keep a list of presents received and the sender as well, and another list of names and gifts you have sent also, it would be most embarrassing if they were given as gifts to the original sender.

If it was from a family member I would ask them for a receipt to change the gift.
Otherwise would give it to Charity.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Re: Surplus to Requirements

i would send them to charity, or, if the item was quite valuable and you couldn't get a receipt, put it on ebay.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 07:33 PM

I was amazed recently to be told by the MIND shop that the clothes I donated had raised £180... apparently they tell you now and ask for you to agree to gift aid. I think I would give any unwanted gifts to them I like knowing how much things raised.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Only things we've ever received we didn't want is alcohol, few times I've taken it into work free to good home on the label around the neck, someone always wants it. We tend to like what we give each other and appreciate time it's taken to make anything and love given with it.
Foodie gifts if we don't like them other family members will so they get eaten eventually. Smellies are always welcome we all like a nice smelly
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 09:39 PM

Be careful when hitting the gift aid box

if you are not a tax payer, they come for you for the tax

My one pressie which I hate will be in the charity shop first week of January - unopened

All food gifts ( chocolates, biscuits etc) will be in the food bank collection before NYE
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 11:13 PM

I have a big tin of Quality Street and a mix of chocolate bars which I will be donating to the Food Bank tomorrow.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have a big tin of Quality Street and a mix of chocolate bars which I will be donating to the Food Bank tomorrow.

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 12:24 AM

I do the much the same as you Azure.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 12:29 PM

I just put them in a cupboard or a wardrobe for a few years in the hope that they might become useful. They never do of course and end up at the charity shop or getting thrown out.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Perhaps we should stop the tradition of giving presents... I already have!
It us stressful trying to find something suitable and wastes time when everyone is busy.
Nobody ever gets something they would have bought for themselves.... and they could buy for themselves if they hadn't spent so much on presents for others.
The money spent on unwanted presents that go to the Charity shops, wouldn't it be better used by giving the homeless warm food & shelter?

For any Christians who believe in Christmas, why not ask yourself if that is what your god would want you to do?
I don't believe in any god, but I do care that somebody may die of Hypothermia because they are cold and hungry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top