Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Borrowing things (not money)

Has borrowing things gone out of fashion? ,a few years ago one or two of the neighbours would drop in to borrow a spanner or a spade and our wheelbarrow was never in our own shed. This morning the Woman next door called in to 'Borrow' two aspirin for a hangover she had and I thought to meself how long it was since anyone called to borrow any little thing, by the way, how do you borrow an aspirin?, as the big store says, 'When there're gone there're gone', of course I don't mind giving her the tablets if she just swallowed them and went away, but no, she has to come in and tell the Wife all about how she got the hangover in the first place.
Maybe we're all to well off now to borrow from each other.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Re: Borrowing things (not money)

I think we will have lost the use of speech soon, we all exist on Computers and mobile phones and you see people walking about just talking to the phone and there is no Eye contact. Also people dont stay put either ,your neighbours keep changing. Sorry I have just read this reply and it is incredibley boring, I will try harder.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:28 PM

That's very true Annie, I don't know about you but I miss all the so called 'Hard times', things were never as bad as they say they were, what we never had we never missed and People were a lot more helpful and friendly to each other then.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Neither a borrower nor lender be goes the old saying, and it's not a bad way to live really. I think though that many people used to borrow little things just for the conversation, more than having a need for whatever it was....(hows that for boring anniemuldoon, it's not just you )...
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Years ago when our children were little I had a next door neighbour with four kids and a 'no good' husband who borrowed from me about four or fives times a day. If it wasn't a couple of potatos it was a match to light the gas, I never got anything back. She used to stay and chat for a while each time, I used to moan to myself but now I wish I could return to those days, what laughs we had.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:03 PM

My neighbour borrows things, usually cooking items garlic, bay leaves etc and she always returns them.

I don't like borrowing anything
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:17 PM

When I was small and Summered with my grandma she had a neighbor who was constantly borrowing things, and asking to use the phone. Much less so in my teens, and I don't think any of my neighbors in my former home ever borrowed anything. Nor did I from them; I don't like borrowing.

Annie, wasn't boring!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Don't you think its also getting rarer when somebody spontaneously gives you something for nothing.
A couple of days ago my next door neighbour (who is 86 saw me going past with the puppy) and she knocked on her window. I went in and she met Bonniepup and we chatted for a while. Then she gave me some goosberries and some home-made goosberry jam. When I got home I thought "what can I give her" and I didn't feel happy until I gave something back (some flowers from my garden was all I could think of). This lady lives on her own and although I have offered to shop for her, she will never take me up on the offer unless she gives me something - not money, but usually something home made. She won't take anything for nothing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

17-07-2011, 08:37 PM

What a lovely Lady to know Aerolor, it gladdens my heart to know such People still exist.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 08:51 PM

She has been my neighbour for over 25 years and she is lovely, a real Lady, Jemflux; so independent and she still has a sparkle. I hope I am as good if/when I reach her age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top