Join for free
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:33 PM

Engagement Rings.

Do engagement rings objectify women? This woman/person seems to think so. She's Media strategist Matilde Suescún (whatever one of those is)

Strange, rather than objectifying women and announcing that the engaged woman is a man's property, I always thought (and still do) that an engagement ring is a symbol of love, commitment and a promise to marry the person you love.

Any thoughts?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45797780
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:39 PM

Re: Engagement Rings.

Call me old-fashioned Judd, my views are the same as yours.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:40 PM

Stupid woman!
Does she also think giving your man a ring signifies he is 'objectified' too?

Just because she wants the giving of a ring stopped, doesn't mean to say anyone else does.
Why can't these people just do what they believe in quietly, why try and interfere and convert everyone else, it really annoys me.

I completely agree with your sentiments Judd.
It should be a token of love and committment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:08 AM

Thoughts? The women is a fool.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 09:13 AM

I agree with you Judd.

There are women out there, who just wants an Engagement ring to put on there finger with no love involved at all.

But no it is a symbol of love.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Dunno....maybe she has a point. It's not one I agree with particularly but we are of an older generation so possibly young women think differently?

No on second thoughts I can't see many women passing up the chance of a diamond ring ....dig deep Judd you know she deserves it
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 09:49 AM

Another day another bit of daftness from the BBC, time we were no longer forced to pay this tax.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 09:52 AM

I never had an engagement ring moving in with my boyfriend a few weeks after meeting him was proof of 'engagement' if any was needed and we couldn't afford one anyway.
What little money we had we shared so it would have been foolish to waste money on a ring.

I could never understand the point of engagement rings anyway.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 11:41 AM

I’ve never been married and never received an engagement ring. Its ok because I’m a woodworker and don’t wear jewelry. The only thing that bothers me is that some men instantly notice there’s no ring so think I’m single so sometimes I get hit on when I’m out by myself. It doesn’t last long once they notice I’m not interested but that’s probably the only downside to not having one. It’s not been a big deal to me and to be brutally honest I do find it a tad pretentious when women compare their rings with others like it’s a competition, signifying worthiness depending on the size of the dialmond.
Perhaps it just means your husband can afford it while others can’t which has nothing to do with love.

A ring usually signifies a commitment to each other, or at least , it used to.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top