Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Class division.

I don't like class divisions, it makes me think of Victorian times.
We still have first class on trains!
I have sat there and not been moved by the ticket inspector.
At JFK, trying to check our cases in, we were told to get in line with economy.
There was no one waiting!
Then as we were about to join the queue, we were called back, as one of my son's needs assistance.
On the plane I saw that first class gets pampered with champagne once seated!
So OK, they pay more, words have been changed, First, Business, then Economy.
It is in theory first, second class, then low class! It annoys me!
Maybe I am getting old.

What are your thoughts?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:15 PM

Re: Class division.

It doesn't really bother me as long as everyone has a seat. Only time I resent it is if first class has empty seats and economy are having to stand. As far as I am concerned they all paid for a seat and should get one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I don't like class divisions, it makes me think of Victorian times.
We still have first class on trains!
I have sat there and not been moved by the ticket inspector.
At JFK, trying to check our cases in, we were told to get in line with economy.
There was no one waiting!
Then as we were about to join the queue, we were called back, as one of my son's needs assistance.
On the plane I saw that first class gets pampered with champagne once seated!
So OK, they pay more, words have been changed, First, Business, then Economy.
It is in theory first, second class, then low class! It annoys me!
Maybe I am getting old.

What are your thoughts?
There's a lot more wrong with airlines than the class system. Things like having to pay to sit together or paying to use the loo. That's why I have no plans to fly again.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There's a lot more wrong with airlines than the class system. Things like having to pay to sit together or paying to use the loo. That's why I have no plans to fly again.
Really? We always sit together?
Never paid for the loo!
Is that Ryanair?
Never flown with them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:40 PM

We booked one up from cattle class on the flight to Japan next year. Ok a bit more expensive but 11.5 hours in a cramped seat doesn't turn me on. It has nothing to do with class structure but about being comfortable.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:47 PM

My friend was talking about this a while back.
He boarded a train and all the standard seats were taken with people standing also. There were plenty of empty seats in the first class carriage so he took a seat there. A ticket inspector came round and asked him to move to second class but my mate stood his ground and said "I've paid for a seat and as there are no seats in second class, I'll sit here. If anyone has reserved this seat I will give it up, but otherwise I'm staying put".
I believe the conductor let him stay where he was.

I've had no problems on planes as I make sure I know what my entitlements when I book a flight: Extra leg room, correct baggage allowance etc. If I paid for standard 'economy' that is what I'd expect, nothing more.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 03:52 PM

We would all pay for a better service if we could.
But as Floydy pointed out if there are no seats available then I can see no reason not to use empty first class. But I am sure that even in second class you are only entitled to seat if you reserve it otherwise the cost of your ticket does not actually mean that a seat will be available.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

30-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We booked one up from cattle class on the flight to Japan next year. Ok a bit more expensive but 11.5 hours in a cramped seat doesn't turn me on. It has nothing to do with class structure but about being comfortable.
I agree I do book business class on very long haul flights. Slightly bigger seats, and more comfort, but the food and all the rest is the same. I look forward to your thread on your trip
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

30-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
We would all pay for a better service if we could.
But as Floydy pointed out if there are no seats available then I can see no reason not to use empty first class. But I am sure that even in second class you are only entitled to seat if you reserve it otherwise the cost of your ticket does not actually mean that a seat will be available.
We should not have to pay more for a seat, that is my point. They charge enough as it is! They should not overbook!
Imagine booking a hotel and not getting a bed.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 04:24 PM

We fly Economy and always book our seats .... window seats away from the toilet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top