Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Less soap powder.....

My wife always goes for the larger soap powder boxes and the previous one stated "45 washes", the weight on the box stated 3.185kg. The latest box we purchased, (same size box, same brand,) states 40 washes and the weight is down to 2.600kg. Considerably less, that's for sure!

Anyone else noticed?

Malc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Re: Less soap powder.....

Not noticed that as we always use the tabs but nothing surprises me.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 05:04 PM

I don't use powder anymore either. I prefer the liquid. A small bottle seems to go a long way and costs about £4 depending on what's on offer. Liquid detergent seems to disperse a lot better than powder and it keeps the washing machine dispenser cleaner, unlike the powders.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 05:13 PM

They are constantly improving the stuff and finding machines work better with less. I haven't used powder since I found pods are much more effective and cause less problems in the wash.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 05:29 PM

I have used Persil non bio since I first did my own washing. I do use far less here in Devon than I did when we lived in Slough, the water is much softer here & the washing machines have evolved too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 06:03 PM

We moved off washing powder over a year ago. We both found that the Persil non bio which we'd used for years had started "burning us" leaving our skin with itchy irritated red rashes.

Upon Googling this it transpired that 1000s of people were all reporting the same issues, not just with Persil but other brands too.

The manufacturers had changed their formulas and the resulting powders were either extremely alkaline and/or caustic.

In researching that I found out about homemade washing powder and ever since I have made my own. It's very cheap, very simple, washes the clothes just fine and smells great.

It is made with a bag of DP Soda Crystals and bars of natural soap (which are free from all parabens and other nasties).

You simply grate 4 bars of soap using a microplaner or equiv and mix with a bag of soda crystals.

I buy soaps from Faith In Nature as they are totally free of bad ingredients. I use 2 bars of Lavender and 2 bars of Rosemary with one bag of Soda Crystals (£1 a bag from Tescos and other supermarkets).

Works a treat,
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 07:11 PM

I think the point Malc was making is the amount of powder has decreased although the packaging and price have stayed the same. Or maybe the price has increased?

And yes, I've noticed this with lots of things. Hellmanns 1000 Island dressing for one. Changed the formulation (i.e. they've added a load of vinegar to it), "redesigned" the bottle so it's 15% smaller and stuck 40p on the price.

Bye bye Hellmanns.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't use powder anymore either. I prefer the liquid. A small bottle seems to go a long way and costs about £4 depending on what's on offer. Liquid detergent seems to disperse a lot better than powder and it keeps the washing machine dispenser cleaner, unlike the powders.

Me too Aerolor. I switch to the liquid abut 10 years ago and would never go back now.....

I also switched to the liquid Baby soap, can't think of the name right off the bat. It is a little more expensive, but I don't get "itchy" when I use it.

I had read on a forum that someone said Tide caused them to be itchy. I thought I would make a switch and sure enough, no more itch. Oh yes, it is called Ivory Snow, pink, with a baby on the front. Any baby soap would probably be better for us, but that is just my opinion......
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 07:26 PM

Yes I have noticed that everything has less!
I use liquid for washing as powder leaves residue, it also blocked our drains once.
Although that fabric conditioner really smells awful in the drains.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 08:15 PM

I just buy a box of whichever's cheapest, usually supermarket own brand. Clothes no longer get dirty like they used to when men did manual work, so probably a dribble of Fairy liquid or liquid soap would do the job just as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top