Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 09:25 PM

I love Christmas because...

Thank goodness, for the last few years, with having a HUGE family and all living locally, we all decided at one family get together that the cost of buying presents for each person was becoming exorbitant. Every year I had to be so organised that I would start buying gifts 3 at a time every month starting in January, followed by the same every month leading up to Christmas, and then it was an explosion of gift purchases in December.

Now, we decided that each family unit would buy just one present for all the other families, plus a small gift for any child of school age and under.

Oh the relief of it! To order such things as a tin of shortbread, or Roses/Quality Street and not have to worry more, is immense. I actually love the build up in the weeks before Christmas now, where once I used to be so frazzled, worried and worn down worrying about everything and everybody, and especially whether I had remembered everyone's gift.

Why do you love (or hate) Christmas?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Re: I love Christmas because...

I love it and hate it in equal measures. I love all the twinkly lights side of things along with Christmas trees, carols and the chance of snow. What I hate is the hype and the family logistics (a long story but I'm trying to keep the peace - I am the middle man).

Sometimes I wish I could rewind back to the age of sixteen when I had my first cigarette and my first cigarette .... afterwards and just sort of take it from there with a few changes along the way.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 09:49 PM

I like Christmas.
The shops all lit up and decorated. The Christmas songs and carols playing in the shops. The glitter and the tinsel, Christmas trees and fairy lights.
The carol service and Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and the service on Christmas morning.
The family all gathered round the table for the lunch and the Christmas crackers, mince pies and other festive foods.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled.

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled.

Are we singing carols already?
Too early!
December, yikes it's only a week away...

Oh hush the noise ye men of strife
And hear the angels sing
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:02 PM

I love Christmas.

I love the atmosphere, the lights, putting up the tree and decorating my room, I love Christmas songs (we played them all shift at work on Thursday and made for a happier working day lol). I love thinking through what gifts to give to my friends and family, I sometimes make things for them I know they will like. I've loved making my own Christmas cards this year for the first time and will do from now on. I love giving gifts and seeing happy faces, whilst I do not buy to receive, if I do receive, I love the thrill of opening those gifts. I love cooking the dinner, wearing the silly hats out of the crackers, singing at the top of my voice, drinking wine, eating the Christmas dinner, eating chocolates, watching cheesy movies, being with loved ones, heck, what's not to love about Christmas?

God rest ye gerry Mental Men, ooops I've been at the wine again
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:18 PM

I am not keen, but I do make a small effort.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Ahh, Christmas, the whole family gathered around the piano....
Wishing somebody could play it.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:31 PM

Shropshiregirl, there's no reason to be too materialistic. Why spend so much when one simple but nice gift will suffice?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:34 PM

Oh by the way, I must reply to the question....

Family getting together, some great nights out with friends, loads of time of work. That's about it.
The commercial and religious aspects I have no time for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top