Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Lazy or Work shy!!!

I listened to the farming program on the radio this morning and one farmer has foreign labour to do the harveting of his vegetables.

They come over from the continent every harvest time just to help. He has tried employing British workers but they dont want to do it, they would rather sit at home getting benefits.

He pays the workers £100/day which to me is good money for a good days work.

This leads e to ask the question:-

Are the British workers the laziest workers in the world?
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Re: Lazy or Work shy!!!

I was discussing this only yesterday, and was told of someone who was offered £50 for 4 hours work per day, but it was 6 am to 10 am.

It was too early for them to start..............................beggars belief
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 09:48 AM

Labour destroyed the work ethic of youth over the last 13 years by giving them too much benefits for doing nothing, and then importing cheap labour to do the work that needed doing. The country will never recover from that.

Come to think of it, there wasn't much that Labour didn't destroy over that period...what a bunch of self serving shysters.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I listened to the farming program on the radio this morning and one farmer has foreign labour to do the harveting of his vegetables.

They come over from the continent every harvest time just to help. He has tried employing British workers but they dont want to do it, they would rather sit at home getting benefits.

He pays the workers £100/day which to me is good money for a good days work.

This leads e to ask the question:-

Are the British workers the laziest workers in the world?
AB was this the farming programme? I think you may be talking about the fruit farms near me in Worcestershire.

When I was a young girl early teens I used to pick fruit at 3 pence a punnet for pocket money(these were the old style large woven punnets ) . A whole group of us did and it was fun and involved a free farm tea. Nowadays some may have called that slave labour and of course today this payment would probably work out as way below the minimum wage but no one made us do the work we did it from choice.

I think the minimum wage and so many regulations may have caused a problem with 'casual' fruit pickers. Maybe some people here may not want to do the work because it is temporary.

It is one job people on benefits could be put to do to earn their money (the farmer would pay the state for the labour) I wouldn't mind doing it , better out in the fresh air than sitting at home.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 02:56 PM

I can remember back in the 50's when we were kids, a huge opened back lorry would pick (no pun intended) us up a the corner of the main road and take us all out to the fruit fields of North Co. Dublin. What a great time we had, singing on the way out then eating and picking the fruit off the bushes and getting a few bob at the end of the day, home again in the lorry with a jingle in our pockets for the cinema at the weekend.
I doubt that would be allowed today with all the safety and child regulations in place, pity because I'm sure most kids would love it, my Grandsons would for sure, and it would help instill the work and be rewarded ethic in them.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Here in Lincolnshire, its nearly all foreign labour working in the fields, getting in the vegetables etc. Not surprised, when you look at most of our overweight lazy slobs, that seem to be everywhere. If I was a Farmer, I'd certainly be very wary when in came to employing some Brits.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2011, 12:14 PM

I think a lot of the problem with British youth has been caused by the universal availability of cheap cannabis over the past 20 years or so. Large numbers of young people smoke cannabis regularly with the result that any "get up and go" they might have had, had got up and gone! Rather than find a job and earn money, lots of young people (by no means all, but a hefty proportion) prefer to stay up all night playing X-Box or PS3 games while stoned and sleeping all day.
Add to that the totally unrealistic aspirations of many young people - they want celebrity, bling and money, but they are not prepared to do anything to get it which involves hard work, and you have the disastrous dead end which many of our young people have ended up in.

I was a youth worker for 40 years and saw this time and time again.

Mick
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2011, 11:34 AM

When I was a child........ is the obvious start of making a statement recalling differences in generations. I used to cut grass for spending money money. I would collect 25 cents for the whole lawn. Now, cutting grass, or "landscaping" costs $20 an hour or more. It's big business and usually done by crews of Mexicans that scour neighborhoods managing many private and commercial properties.

In the United States seasonal workers from Mexico cross the border legally and otherwise to pick our crops. This has been going on for many generations after outright slavery was banned eons ago. It's become a fact of life here and most people turn their back on migrant worker's living & working conditions. Those who pick our crops make a pitiful wage and seldom have any benefits. No American would work under these conditions. The whole migrant worker story is one of our "dirty little secrets".
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Have to agree with you, people wont work if there is any other way of getting money.... and who would want them any way... no boss who has worked his socks off getting to the top.
ruby
lancashire
ruby is female  ruby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Agency's have a lot to answer for.Best cop out for employers, take on agency staff ,let um work their socks off for minimum wage whilst the bloke/woman stood next to him /her who is a permanent employee although doing the same job is earning almost double pay,,no need to pay redundancy,,, give them hope of a future for their young family's then when they get up 4am in a morning to get ready for the early shift then the phone rings "You are not needed today " .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top