Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Coping Mechanisms

How do you cope with stress or problems that are difficult to solve?
Do you phone your friends and family?
Bury your head in the sand?
Put a thread up?
Or something else?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Re: Coping Mechanisms

I just stress over it until I fall asleep through exhaustion.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I just stress over it until I fall asleep through exhaustion.
Really??? You keep it inside? Not good. xxx
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Really??? You keep it inside? Not good. xxx
No, it isn't not really.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

05-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No, it isn't not really.
Come to my office and lay on the couch. x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Depends entirely upon the type of problem Sweetie.

For practical things, I am lucky to have a special friend who has been an absolute star with his advice and support.

For emotional worries, I mostly muddle my own way through. Occassionally I might talk to my friend Diane, but mostly I work things out myself.

I usually get there in the end, it's just some things take longer than others.

We're all so different aren't we. Some people need to talk and unburden, and others remain quiet and try to work it out.

When for example, I have lost one of my much loved dogs over the years, I prefer to grieve in solitude.
I need time to think and process things without a well-meaning person clacking in my ear and saying things I already know - such as "You've done the right thing" or "She's at peace now."
I have to be quiet to gather my thoughts and come to terms with it.

So I'm afraid I can't give you any other answer, but whatever is bothering you, I hope you find a way to solve it best you can.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

05-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Depends entirely upon the type of problem Sweetie.

For practical things, I am lucky to have a special friend who has been an absolute star with his advice and support.

For emotional worries, I mostly muddle my own way through. Occassionally I might talk to my friend Diane, but mostly I work things out myself.

I usually get there in the end, it's just some things take longer than others.

We're all so different aren't we. Some people need to talk and unburden, and others remain quiet and try to work it out.

When for example, I have lost one of my much loved dogs over the years, I prefer to grieve in solitude.
I need time to think and process things without a well-meaning person clacking in my ear and saying things I already know - such as "You've done the right thing" or "She's at peace now."
I have to be quiet to gather my thoughts and come to terms with it.

So I'm afraid I can't give you any other answer, but whatever is bothering you, I hope you find a way to solve it best you can.
Thank you for your informative answer Mupsy.
I am mostly the same as you, I try not to dwell on problems too much, otherwise, it can burden other things.
I have no really bad problems at this time myself.
I was interested in how others deal with things.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 02:13 PM

Oh goodness. It depends on the problem but I usually do it in stages.

First stage- I try and exercise the stress and frustration out of me by walking / hiking

Then I’ll look up my problem online and see what others have to say about it

If it’s still bothering me I’ll try and do something to keep my mind and body active, like cleaning the house or doing gardening

If it’s still bothering me I might write to my sister in law and vent to her

If it’s still bothering me I’ll cry and eventually my husband will ask me what’s wrong and I might tell him

If it’s something I can’t discuss with him then I’ll put some quiet relaxing music on and do some woodcarving

Sometimes I’ll do some journaling and write out how I feel

Occasionally I’ll talk with my girlfriend but I don’t usually talk about problems to my friends.

I hope you find the solitude and comfort you are seeking
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

05-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Oh goodness. It depends on the problem but I usually do it in stages.

First stage- I try and exercise the stress and frustration out of me by walking / hiking

Then I’ll look up my problem online and see what others have to say about it

If it’s still bothering me I’ll try and do something to keep my mind and body active, like cleaning the house or doing gardening

If it’s still bothering me I might write to my sister in law and vent to her

If it’s still bothering me I’ll cry and eventually my husband will ask me what’s wrong and I might tell him

If it’s something I can’t discuss with him then I’ll put some quiet relaxing music on and do some woodcarving

Sometimes I’ll do some journaling and write out how I feel

Occasionally I’ll talk with my girlfriend but I don’t usually talk about problems to my friends.

I hope you find the solitude and comfort you are seeking
That is good advice Bratti. x
I generally take any problem step by step.
If I have several I can only deal with them one at a time.
I am far better at helping others than myself tbh.
I think that helps me sometimes. x
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 02:57 PM

I never used to stress about anything until l retired, or since l have been on my own. I then had more time to think, more time to let things escalate in my head until l felt l could burst with the worry.

It was usually things about my children. I know, l shouldn’t and they are fine but my children have always been the most important thing in my life.

Although, l go on about how l love being on my own but sometimes when l have to make decisions about, say the energy tarrifs or l need to sort something major out. l feel it would be nice to have someone to console me, sort things and tell me everything will be alright!

Eventually, l get things sorted and l wonder why did l let myself get into such a state about them in the first place!

Edited to say, l tend now not to worry, until things happen!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top