Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 01:48 AM

Mind altering drugs

I wonder if people really know when drugs of any sort entered society.......they talk about drunk drivers and what happens if you take this drug or that drug. They talk about addiction.

In 1830, opium use in Britain reached its peak, with 22,000 pounds imported from Turkey every year.

They poured opium down babies' throats.
They were to be given five drops of the stuff, which quieted them down. Two-week-olds got eight drops. Five-year-olds got twenty-five drops. An adult got a teaspoon.

Opium was also used as a treatment for asthma. Asthma was considered a "seizure" disorder, located mainly in the muscles. Opium was thought to relax the muscles constricting the tubes in the lungs, and allow the sufferer to breathe more easily.

Opium Was For Newborns and Bayer sold Heroin
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 01:52 AM

Re: Mind altering drugs

Heroin was used for morphine withdrawal....

Heroin, believe it or not, was hailed as a wonder substance for its ability to wean addicts off their drug of choice.

It was developed by Bayer, The painkiller was a scourge of the land, turning wounded soldiers into addicts.

Bayer & Co. was trying to synthesize, from morphine, the less addictive codeine, and they stumbled on heroin.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

04-11-2018, 01:55 AM

This wonder drug, was used for public speaking. The pope even used it and I think some of the religious leaders of today have it, or something similar....

Even the children were allowed to drink half a glass,
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

04-11-2018, 02:02 AM

Sorry to go off topic here, but right this minute I am looking out my back door, right into the eyes of a big coyote....

This is not MY photo, but this is about what he looks like....

Meanwhile, back to the "drug situation".......

And NO, I haven't had any "mind or mood altering drugs" tonight....this big guy is real and he is hungry, I had to check the back door to make sure it was locked...

wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

04-11-2018, 02:07 AM

I hope to hear from others who know how long mood altering drugs have been around....I only know what I read, and it is apparently "old news"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->

In 1830, opium use in Britain reached its peak, with 22,000 pounds imported from Turkey every year.

They poured opium down babies' throats.
They were to be given five drops of the stuff, which quieted them down. Two-week-olds got eight drops. Five-year-olds got twenty-five drops. An adult got a teaspoon.

n
When my family and I returned to Australia after a short stay in the UK in the early/mid 1970s our bottle of Collis Browne's Mixture was confiscated by Australian customs because it contained opium. In the UK it was available at chemists over the counter and a wonderful medicine for ailing children.

We had to resort to my grandmother's cure-all for children - a small glass of warm milk with a dollop of brandy!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

04-11-2018, 02:13 AM

I don't have anything against anyone who take something/anything to make life easier.

If you have severe pain and you need powerful painkillers....I say "take them", why worry about addiction at our age....

If you know how to control your alcohol or weed, or anything else you are digesting, go for it......just know your limits.....

I turn my nose up at 'NOBODY' for what they do in their lives and how they feel about mind/mood altering drugs.......

Who am I to judge anyone......I have suffered severly in my life, not only with physical pain, but being bipolar as well, has not been easy.......I didn't ask for these genes, they were donated to me by parents that didn't know enough about things like this......they just had children in those days and didn't even consider what they are passing on...
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 04:27 AM

Famously Coca -Cola had cocaine in it.In the very early days anyway when it was considered a medicinal drink.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When my family and I returned to Australia after a short stay in the UK in the early/mid 1970s our bottle of Collis Browne's Mixture was confiscated by Australian customs because it contained opium. In the UK it was available at chemists over the counter and a wonderful medicine for ailing children.

We had to resort to my grandmother's cure-all for children - a small glass of warm milk with a dollop of brandy!
My Mum used to get that from the chemist, this would have been in the 60s, I think it was given to us kids when we had stomach problems. It was administered as drops in warm water (I think).

I remember Mum telling me that you could also buy, over the counter, a "Womens monthly aid" that was basically an abortion in a bottle. It was advertised as being for keeping your periods regular but everybody knew what it really was. Not sure if it was mind altering though. It was called Widow something or other.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 10:23 AM

My nan got addicted to kaolin and morphine in the 60s it was hell her getting off that. But I thought she was wonderful when she managed to do it. The GP put her on it initially and just kept giving her prescriptions. I had a mare with tramadol more recently again GP prescribed it and it was awful to get off it.

Historical addictions were bad but we haven't learned our lessons imo and are still putting people on drugs that are unsafe.

Even more worrying these days are the things that people make up themselves KATT has just arrived in our town, we had got used to seeing the spice victims standing and staring but this katt is worse, people stripping off and running around violent and yelling. One woman naked as day she was born tried to get into our bin area at work, just battered and rammed her head against the iron gates. Was in an awful state when police arrived but still took six of them to bring her down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top