Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 08:43 PM

Mischievous Night

When I was growing up in Yorkshire, Halloween didn’t exist. However I do remember Mischievous Night which was always 4th November, the night before Bonfire Night. I don’t ever remember being allowed to go out to take part though.

I don’t think it was a Yorkshire thing as my hubby remembers it too and he’s from Cheshire.

Do you remember it and what mischief did you get up to?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 09:12 PM

Re: Mischievous Night

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
When I was growing up in Yorkshire, Halloween didn’t exist. However I do remember Mischievous Night which was always 4th November, the night before Bonfire Night. I don’t ever remember being allowed to go out to take part though.

I don’t think it was a Yorkshire thing as my hubby remembers it too and he’s from Cheshire.

Do you remember it and what mischief did you get up to?
Must be a regional thing darlin', 'cos nothing like that down this way.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 09:19 PM

I remember it - my brother and I were in deep trouble for tying peoples door knobs together then knocking at the doors and running away!
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:06 PM

Nice to see CC posting again,

On bonfire night I used to go out with a bunch of lads and throw bangers through windows of derelict building and watch them catch on fire,
yes I was a bad boy.But no one ever got hurt promise.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:09 PM

We had what we called guising which was knocking on people's doors and reciting a poem, or performing a trick, telling a joke etc. just before bonfire night. And we asked for a penny for the guy.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:11 PM

Not in the south Cheshire.
Interesting. X
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:12 PM

The day before Hallowe'en, the teens go out and soap windows. It is a terrible thing to do, when someone get's up in the morning to head to work and they have to scrape that off the car windows.......they will do it on the house also if they get the chance. I think they just call it soap night.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:17 PM

I don't recall anything like that happening here, the night before bonfire night was always just another night.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:21 PM

oh yeah, I'm a Yorkshire lass and we were buggers on mischievous night. We used to tie one end of string to the door knob and the other end of string to the dustbin lid then we'd knock and run away, when they came to open the door it made the dustbin lid clatter really loud (in those days the bins were metal) lol. Oh thank you for the memories. Such innocent fun.

I remember ducking for apples too and I never could get my teeth around the damned apple lol
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Nice to see CC posting again,

On bonfire night I used to go out with a bunch of lads and throw bangers through windows of derelict building and watch them catch on fire,
yes I was a bad boy.But no one ever got hurt promise.
Thank you Leeee

That was naughty of you. Did you wait for the fire brigade to turn up?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top