Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Restless Leg Syndrome

I haven't been sleeping well because of severe pain in my knees due to arthritis. Well, the doctor gave me cortisone injections and the pain has eased so much and I was looking forward to a good nights sleep.

I went to bed and almost immediately my legs started feel really weird, like a crawly feeling which eased when I moved them, gradually it got worse and I couldn't keep my legs still.

I googled RLS and it appears that some medications can cause it but I am not taking any meds right now as the cortisone injections have made me pain free.

Has anyone got any hints on how to deal with this as I can't believe my luck at least when I was taking pain killers they made me sleep.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome

Hi Cate my SIL has RLS, it first began in her 40s and it is so bad at times she finds it unbearable to travel on long car journeys.

Did the Dr check your iron, levels, I understand an iron deficiency can contribute to the problem. I don't think there is a cure as such, the condition comes and goes .

When did you have the injections ,if the problem is related to the cortisone things may change as the cortisone injection gradually diminishes.

I think with this kind of thing it helps if you can make yourself as comfortably and relaxed as possible and to use anything you can music/books to distract you from the problem.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks for that Mags, I had the injections on Thursday and really don't think it is anything to do with it, at least I hope its not.

I haven't checked this out with the doctor as it only happened Thursday, Friday nights.

I played my favourite game on my phone and read my library book but even my arms felt weird.

Today, I got up early and started doing stuff around the house and garden so that tonight I would be tired. I will also try and keep awake through the evening.

Your poor SIL that must be so debilitating getting RLS in the car thankfully so far this has happened only when I go to bed. Luckily hubs and I have separate beds otherwise it would be a million times worse.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Thanks for that Meg, I had the injections on Thursday and really don't think it is anything to do with it, at least I hope its not.

I haven't checked this out with the doctor as it only happened Thursday, Friday nights.

I played my favourite game on my phone and read my library book but even my arms felt weird.

Today, I got up early and started doing stuff around the house and garden so that tonight I would be tired. I will also try and keep awake through the evening.

Your poor SIL that must be so debilitating getting RLS in the car thankfully so far this has happened only when I go to bed. Luckily hubs and I have separate beds otherwise it would be a million times worse.
Cate where did you have the injections? Both knees?
If you only had it in one knee I think the connection is unlikely, however if you had it in both knees I would think there is a good chance it could be connected.
I have had cortisone in my elbow joint and my arm felt odd for a few days.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-07-2011, 04:17 PM

I did have it in both knees and the thing is I felt a bit run down the day after which was probably down to lack of sleep. May be as the time goes by the RLS to ease up. I have had it in the past usually when I have over done it, walking or standing but not that bad.

I will see how it goes and if it continues I shall go back to the doctor, I love this being pain free but I think it may have come at some cost.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 06:43 PM

As Meg says Cookiecate, get the doctor to check your iron levels - If you have been on a diet your iron may have got a bit low and that might have something to do with it. Other than that I am not sure if there is a known cure. Perhaps a warm bath to relax your muscles before bed might help. The good side is that the cortisone injections have helped relieve your pain. I hope it improves soon. Best wishes. Rena
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Thank you for that,, I will mention to the doctor that I have been eating loads of fruit, chicken, fish and salads which don't always have the iron in but taste good.

I don't have a bath as if I got in I would never be able to get out, (don't laugh) However, I will make sure that I am relaxed, tired and ready for the zzzzzzzzs.

Thanks for caring, I will let you know how things go.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Hope things improve for you CC. I can sympathise with you if you have got RLS. I've suffered with this for a few years, and it drives me insane! Every few weeks for a couple of nights it occurs-my legs take on a mind of their own when I go to bed and won't stay still no matter what I do. Sitting for long periods also seems to trigger it off. Doctor did check my Iron levels but they were ok-definitely worth getting yours checked though.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I did have it in both knees and the thing is I felt a bit run down the day after which was probably down to lack of sleep. May be as the time goes by the RLS to ease up. I have had it in the past usually when I have over done it, walking or standing but not that bad.

I will see how it goes and if it continues I shall go back to the doctor, I love this being pain free but I think it may have come at some cost.

Cate darlin' - I've had RLS for years. You can't cure it per se, but you can relieve the symptoms somewhat. Do as I do - fold the duvet diagonally from the bottom corner until your legs are exposed, the coolness of the air may help relieve the symptoms. I do this EVERY night summer and winter - its the only way I can get some sleep.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Thanks Joe, I will certainly try this next time. This is such a horrible thing that you would almost try anything.

Last night I slept without pain, RLS or sleeping aids and this morning feel great. I know this may not happen every night but I shall enjoy the them when they happen.

I have to say since I have mentioned this to people it is amazing the number of people who have or do suffer from it. It is rather like cramp it affects us all at sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top