Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 02:16 PM

What is happening to my country?

Is it time I shimmied of this earth cos I can't understand it any more.

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Injunct...ail/story.html
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Re: What is happening to my country?

You have to admire them for what they are doing but, if they're allowed that then the rest of us should be too.

Land which you can live on is very very expensive - land itself is quite cheap, but it often has restrictions, such as the ones they have.

Having said that - I think if people want to buy land and 'live off it' as much as possible, and build eco-friendly homes there should be some concession - as we really do need to promote more of that
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
You have to admire them for what they are doing but, if they're allowed that then the rest of us should be too.

Land which you can live on is very very expensive - land itself is quite cheap, but it often has restrictions, such as the ones they have.

Having said that - I think if people want to buy land and 'live off it' as much as possible, and build eco-friendly homes there should be some concession - as we really do need to promote more of that
Specially as these people were on benefits and living in a council house. They are now growing food for themselves and neighbours surely they should be encouraged not put in bed and breakfast hotels or threatenend with prison which in the long run we taxpayers have to pay for.

This was the ideal that 'The Good Life' tried to show us and being self sufficient and off the grid well that's good isn't it?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 03:16 PM

I agree with you CC - just think it should be the same rule for us all. I would love to build an eco friendly house, and grow as much of my food as I can - but land with planning consent is way too expensive. Land without it is cheap as chips - you can get an acre of forest land for about 10K I think.

Maybe we should start a campaign
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-07-2011, 03:34 PM

I think so too, I mean not every one would want to go off the grid, people have jobs and some would give up really quickly and of course the other thing is you would need quite a large amount of money to build your eco house.

I just feel that these people are doing no harm and there are so many people who are scamming the system and these people are not they should be praised for what they do.

OK I understand that buying a piece of forest land and building a community wouldn't be acceptable but because of my hippy years I would so prefer that to millions of people living in council houses on benefits with unhealthy kids and no job. Living off the land would make you feel so good about yourself. I have done it, not in this country it would be too expensive.

I just hope the council look long and hard at this particular situation and let them continue to live there.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Whilst it's a fact that we can't all be allowed to please ourselves where we live, it's the absolute inflexibility of the planning system that irks. Surely someone could have looked objectively at helping the family to meet the necessary criteria, rather than just alerting the enforcement brigade?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Much as I have sympathy for their cause, I think perhaps the council fears setting a precedent by granting permission to live on agricultural land. It could open a floodgate. As has been said agricultural land is quite cheap compared to building land and it is not easy to get a change of use on it. If you can do it the land becomes very valuable. If they can buy 4 acres for £47,000 what's to stop others from doing the same all over the country. I think this there is a problem with gypsies buying non-residential land and setting their caravans up on it. These folks are also living in a lorry (which is probably not suitable housing).
If it were easy to do it, I would probably buy some agricultural land and do it myself - I would enjoy doing it as well, as I am sure many of us would.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 10:27 PM

What is happening to my country ????????????? we are being colonised, there are already over 100 legal sharia courts in this country.
according to migration watch we have to build 220 houses every day for the next 20 years just to cover present housing needs.and that will still not be enough..
mysterie
Sydney, Australia
mysterie is female  mysterie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2011, 01:17 PM

This is why I don't frequent forums much these days, my heart is very heavy knowing England is no more as I knew it. If our laws, courts and way of life is not good enough for outsiders then why do they come here. I get branded racist and all sorts but I don't wish people harm I just want them to leave us alone.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

13-10-2011, 06:32 PM

I heard myself asking what is happening to my country yesterday. On the news there was a man who had taken a picture of his four year old daughter eating icecream and a Security person or some such made a big deal of it and told him he was breaking the law.

In the afternoon I heard about a man who was brushing his dog in the park and was given a £75 ticket for littering. He was also told that his yellow high visibility jacket might make people mistake him for a police officer.

My country seems to be going sligtly mad and we who are sane should be getting madder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top