Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:22 PM

Ever Been To A Demolition Derby?

...I have, many years ago at Exhibition Stadium, in Toronto...and, as I remember it was such fun.

Any-who, I sold my very old, 2004 Chevy Cavalier...to a driver at one of the demolition derbies near by. The demolition took place on Saturday, October 20th...in a town just north of where I live. Being a small car, it didn't take very long, before it was smashed and had to be towed off the track. Voila...gone to "Vehicle" Heaven.

We had all planned on going but d-i-l was sick with a cold and it had been raining most of the day...so we didn't attend...

Here is a photo of my baby after her demise.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	44364577_694852880900851_2218488725942304768_n.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	7779  
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Re: Ever Been To A Demolition Derby?

Yes but it was a long time ago, back in the 70s. I didn't enjoy it much at all, just not my thing.
Beautiful Filly
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes but it was a long time ago, back in the 70s. I didn't enjoy it much at all, just not my thing.
I've only been once also...and what stands out the most, is the noise but I was much younger then and it didn't bother me.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:38 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of one being held in the UK.
Beautiful Filly

28-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

Hi Tachyon...they are very popular where I live but more so for the younger generation...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:25 PM

I had never hears of a 'demolition derby' until now. I looked it up and couldn't believe such a dangerous activity was permitted in that country across the pond. But then if they voted in that crazy idiot as president, then anything goes, I suppose.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

I've never heard of one - full stop.

What are they for, what happens? Do people crash their cars there or something?
Beautiful Filly

28-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I had never hears of a 'demolition derby' until now. I looked it up and couldn't believe such a dangerous activity was permitted in that country across the pond. But then if they voted in that crazy idiot as president, then anything goes, I suppose.

Hi Tara...the old cars are just going to the wreckers anyway...and this way, they get a send off to be proud of.

Please don't hold Canada responsible for tRump being voted in as president of the USA...truly, we had noting to do with that!
Beautiful Filly

28-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've never heard of one - full stop.

What are they for, what happens? Do people crash their cars there or something?

Mups...it's just a fun way to say goodbye to your old vehicle. People buy them from the owners...for the purpose of driving them in the derby, to see which ones outlast the others... Mine did not last very long...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Mups...it's just a fun way to say goodbye to your old vehicle. People buy them from the owners...for the purpose of driving them in the derby, to see which ones outlast the others... Mine did not last very long...

Do any drivers ever get badly injured or killed?

I get attached to my cars if I like them, and I would upset me to see that smashed to smithereens after we'd been everywhere together.

I do know cars are probably squashed at disposal, but don't think I'd want to witness it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top