Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 08:09 AM

Credit Cards

Do you have Credit Cards?

I don't personally have a Credit Card only a Debit Card, as I wouldn't like to get myself into Debt, I have always said, if you can't afford something then don't buy it.

Watching the News on TV this morning one Woman had two Credit Cards and didn't have a clue on how much money she had in her Bank.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Re: Credit Cards

I have a credit card 'John Lewis Partnership' which I use to pay for just about everything.
For me it is just a convenient way to pay, the 'credit 'element is never used . I transfer the money between card and bank accounts instead of using cheques and cash .
By using the card I receive points for every penny I spend which is transferred into vouchers to spend in JL or Waitrose . The card also serves as an insurance cover on purchases over £100.

I also like having an itemised record of what I spend in the form of a statement.
I know what is in my bank account at all times.

I don't believe in credit/borrowing with the exception of a mortgage. If I can't afford an item I wait and save or go without.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:22 AM

We have one credit card with a highish limit we keep empty because we dont have pet insurance and if the worst happened we know we can fund treatment and pay it back. That's worked really well for us for past five dogs. Much cheaper than insurance we've found even when Elsie had a brain tumour we've easily saved houndreds of pounds.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:27 AM

I have two credit cards just for convenience.
I pay them off in full every month, therefore I don't pay any interest.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:30 AM

I have a credit card which I paid off thanks to some successful PPI claims. What annoyed me about the card providers they would increase the credit limit every so often, never understood why as I never ever came close to maxing it out ever.
Now thanks to the same PPI I can pay cash for everything I want which isn't much these days.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 10:55 AM

I also always pay off the full amount on my Barclaycard bill. Another advantage of the card is that I can make contactless payments which is a real time saver.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:51 AM

I've got a Barclaycard, had it since the 70s. I sometimes go a full year without using it. I understand that hiring a car abroad requires a CC rather than a Debit Card ... one of the reasons I keep it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Never had and do not want a credit card. Took a Barclay Credit Card with me to India in 2003/4 for emergencies - didn't need it - cut it up when I came back home - and Barclay's hounded me for months trying to persuade me to use it.

Never again!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:53 PM

No credit cards for me.
I learned a hard lesson years ago.
Debit and my savers only.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 01:57 PM

I dont have credit cards just a debit card. Ive been to court and recieved a CCJ for credit card debt years ago now. It was at a time in my life when I was seriously ill when debt was run up to carry on living daily life and bills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top